'09 Illini recruiting class projection

• 284 replies

Offline Luke E

• Reppin' the Illini in the Big House!
'09 Illini recruiting class projection
« on: June 23, 2008, 12:38:59 PM »
A lot will happen between now and February.  New names will pop up, twists and turns will occur on the recruiting trail, but here is my stab in the dark at the '09 Illinois football recruiting class:

QB Nathan Scheelhaase ~ Kansas City, MO
RB David Oku ~ Midwest City, OK
FB Greg Fuller ~ Harvey, IL
WR Terry Hawthorne ~ East St. Louis, IL
WR Kraig Appleton ~ East St. Louis, IL
WR Derrell Person ~ Washington DC
TE Mason Johnston ~ Jacksonville, FL
OL Patrick Ward ~ New Lenox, IL
OL Leon Hill ~ Chicago, IL
OL Hugh Thornton ~ Oberlin, OH
OL Ricky Harris ~ Westerville, OH
DE Tank Carradine ~ Cincinnati, OH
DE Michael Buchanan ~ Homewood, IL
DT Lendell Buckner ~ Chicago, IL
LB Darrius Moffett ~ Chicago, IL
LB Sam Barrington ~ Jacksonville, FL
CB Tommie Hopkins ~ East St. Louis, IL
S Steve Hull ~ Cincinnati, OH

Scheelhaase could easily go to Oklahoma in which case I feel very good about getting Thornton standout Darren Jones.  It will be a battle with Florida State and Tennessee for Oku.  I feel good about him and he would be a stud in the Orange & Blue.  However, if they don't land him they probably won't land a big time back this class.  Mike James got an offer from Miami (Fla) that he is extremely excited about, Wingo sounds like he's down to either Mizzou or Oklahoma, and I haven't heard much about Cincinnati's Bud Golden recently. 

Appleton and Hawthorne will be absolute studs at WR.  I also feel like Carradine and Buchanan could develop into All-Big Ten DE's down the road.  The rest?  Scheelhaase and Oku would be studs for years to come, but without them, I don't know if this class will turn out to be all we were hoping for.  It's still very solid, but a number of things have kept it from being the elite class we were dreaming about a few months back. 

Offline player25

• You play to win the game!
  • Where's Efrem, I'll throw him an alley-oop!
Re: '09 Illini recruiting class projection
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:55:13 PM »
I still think the '09 class will be really good.  Buckner, Hill, and Fuller, are a great start IMO.  Appleton, Hawthorne, and Hopkins, already look great in ORANGE.  Hopefully they like Fighting Illini orange also.  Moffet.  Ward.  These are players IMO.  Still a lot of work to happen, but let's win some more games and close BIG TIME and rise up the recruiting class rankings come February!   :icon_biggrin:

Offline Luke E

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 01:05:18 PM »
Cleveland Glenville CB Mike Edwards has named the Illini his leader over IU and Cincinnati.  He's a player that if tOSU decides to offer he will commit on the spot.  However, if they don't he could very well be in Orange & Blue.  I debated putting him on here instead of Hopkins.  It's a tossup really.  Illinois only has 18 rides this class unless we have some guys leave early (Vontae) which could clear up a spot for both Edwards and Hopkins.  They would add to an already stellar CB corps for the Illini (Hicks, Thomas, Wilson, & Nixon). 

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 09:07:51 PM »
David Oku could very well be a commit and Mike James, just have a feeling that he will. Too crowded at The U at the RB spot. At TE Orson Charles could commit. WE are still in the running with WR Boyd and QB Newton. Those two could be players we will love to have. Gotta remember Boyd lived in Illinois until he was 14 or 15. And Morgan Newton is neighbors with JEff George. Tank and Buchanan will be studs at the DE spot Buchanan possibly has the most potential on the DL in this class.

Appelton and Hawethorne will be coming here. Appeltons chances of going to tOSU are getting smaller and smaller each day. And with Hawthorne are competition is Arkansas, its just who wants him more.

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 11:22:08 PM »
I also have hopes for Newton. I thought Schellhase wanted to play with Wingo. What about Watt and Hall? Do you think we have no chance with Hall, because the staff doesn't seem to think so? Do you think Drummond isn't going to qualify, or do you think he's going somewhere else? And how sold is Fellows on OSU?

Offline Luke E

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 01:09:45 PM »
I also have hopes for Newton. I thought Schellhase wanted to play with Wingo. What about Watt and Hall? Do you think we have no chance with Hall, because the staff doesn't seem to think so? Do you think Drummond isn't going to qualify, or do you think he's going somewhere else? And how sold is Fellows on OSU?

I don't think Scheelhaase is adamant about playing with Wingo, although it could definitely happen at Oklahoma.  Even if Scheelhaase picks OU, I doubt Newton comes to Illinois.  He's probably Florida bound which is fine because Jones is a fantastic QB prospect and was high on the Illini even before his teammate Fuller committed. 

As for Watt?  There have been several rumors lately that he's tOSU bound.  The Buckeyes are filling up quick with 22 players already committed  :wow5: and probably 27 rides to give.  (Which BTW is exactly why any Illini fan should not want an early signing period... the rich get richer... ND, tOSU, Texas, Michigan, etc. would all fill up with early signee's and then be able to get a jump start on the next year's class while everyone else is trying to fill out this year's)  Anyway, Watt also has a high level of interest in Notre Dame and Michigan.  If he doesn't commit soon to the Buckeyes, our chances with him increase dramatically, but I'm not sure that's going to happen. 

As for Hall?  Some people keep saying we have a great shot at him, but I'd be shocked if he didn't become a Buckeye.  He's a player they will save a ride for, because he's probably the most dominating OT prospect in the country and they don't want that kind of stud from Glenville going to Illinois. (He's not going to USC) 

Offline Luke E

« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008, 06:31:01 PM »
Newsome to Ohio State today.

« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008, 08:44:09 PM »

I don't think Drummond is going to qualify. But he might. If Big Moe Dampeer could make it then Drummond can

Offline Luke E

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 07:54:29 PM »
I don't think Drummond is going to qualify. But he might. If Big Moe Dampeer could make it then Drummond can

Why take a risk on a kid when it's most likely he's not going to get in?  Focus on a guy like Buchannan who has just as high of a ceiling and isn't an academic risk.  Remember, it's one thing to qualify, but then you have to stay eligible, and I don't think that the coaches want to be checking a kid's every step making sure he's going to class, going to study halls, etc, etc, etc. 

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2008, 01:21:55 AM »
Nathan Schallesse(sp?) is making a decision Wednesday night. And on the Scout board one of the posters his friends plays with him and says it looks like Illinois is going to get him. But with recruiting who knows he could change his mind but please come here Nathan :beg: