Most disappointing "Top Recruit"

• 6 replies

Offline rifire

Most disappointing "Top Recruit"
« on: November 25, 2019, 03:02:41 PM »
With the recent verbal commitment from Miller, it got me to thinking who was the most disappointing big time recruit you can remember ? Marcus Liberty as a #1 recruit comes to mind, as does McDonalds All American Richard Keene. Also, who was a recruit that surpassed expectations, like Kendal Gill perhaps, I believe he played center in high school and went on to become an All American guard in college I believe.

Re: Most disappointing "Top Recruit"
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2019, 03:24:43 PM »
With the recent verbal commitment from Miller, it got me to thinking who was the most disappointing big time recruit you can remember ? Marcus Liberty as a #1 recruit comes to mind, as does McDonalds All American Richard Keene. Also, who was a recruit that surpassed expectations, like Kendal Gill perhaps, I believe he played center in high school and went on to become an All American guard in college I believe.
Without a doubt, Eric Gordon, also known by his Indian name - 2 Face!

Offline UEACES80

« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 06:42:21 PM »
Jereme Richardson most disappointing
The Chief will live forever in the hearts of all Illini fans!

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2019, 04:26:37 AM »
Jereme Richmond is the highest profile disaapointment.  Marcus Liberty at least made it to the NBA.  Richmond's dream went up in a puff of smoke, THC enhanced.

For me, its the middle players who have failed that bug me the most.  Players like Mike Shaw, who had all the physical skills to succeed, and even dominate.

I worry that Tevian Jones is going to be a bust ... or a transfer ... or both.  Yes, it is cold and yes academics are a requirement of sorts, but do these kids REALLY expect professional life abroad will be any easier?  G R O W   U P   K I D - this is your ticket, so punch it!!!!!!!

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2019, 10:03:25 AM »
Jereme Richmond is the highest profile disaapointment.  Marcus Liberty at least made it to the NBA.  Richmond's dream went up in a puff of smoke, THC enhanced.

For me, its the middle players who have failed that bug me the most.  Players like Mike Shaw, who had all the physical skills to succeed, and even dominate.

I worry that Tevian Jones is going to be a bust ... or a transfer ... or both.  Yes, it is cold and yes academics are a requirement of sorts, but do these kids REALLY expect professional life abroad will be any easier?  G R O W   U P   K I D - this is your ticket, so punch it!!!!!!!
Yes, waited 2 or 3 years for Richmond to put on the O&B uni, only to see him play 1 good game.  Shaw could have been Brian Cook who was an amazing player.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2019, 11:42:43 AM »
in the last 15 years or so following our last final 4 run, its Jereme Richardson and its not even close. im sure you could find some comparable going further back and all time history, but recent history is JR hands down

you can even pin that and his downfall somewhat to the final nail and downfall of the program to rock bottom status years later. I mean if he lives up to his billing who knows what other recruits that attracts and where the program goes from there.

If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 12:05:52 AM »
in the last 15 years or so following our last final 4 run, its Jereme Richardson and its not even close. im sure you could find some comparable going further back and all time history, but recent history is JR hands down

you can even pin that and his downfall somewhat to the final nail and downfall of the program to rock bottom status years later. I mean if he lives up to his billing who knows what other recruits that attracts and where the program goes from there.

Yes - If JR grabs his pro dream, Weber had a Final Four team on his hand by his Jr year.

Richmond and Leonard up front, with Paul and DJ as Senior guards ... they could have survived Weber and gone deep