No bowl game again this year

• 6 replies

No bowl game again this year
« on: September 14, 2019, 07:43:50 PM »
This was a critical game if Illinois had any hopes at all for a bowl bid.  They needed to be 3-0 to start conference play.  Then they had to win 3 games---most likely among the weakest opponents on their B1G schedule.  Nebraska, Rutgers, Purdue, Minnesota and Northwestern would be those teams.

With Rutgers being the easiest opponent and pretty much a sure win, we just needed 2 more wins.  It ain't gonna happen.

Playing crappy football in winning against a horrid UConn team and then losing to a MAC team at home, showed me that this team still has a long way to go. 

I'm convinced that Lovie Smith will never get us there.  He needs to go after this year. 

Offline obmtl

Re: No bowl game again this year
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2019, 01:52:39 PM »
undisciplined play. we have been that way throughout Lovie's tenure. B1G season could be ugly if we don't take giant steps in performance.

Offline seanwins

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2019, 11:22:15 PM »
undisciplined play. we have been that way throughout Lovie's tenure. B1G season could be ugly if we don't take giant steps in performance.

Yep its the calling card for him and it was with the bears too its crazy how many penalties his teams commit.

Offline UEACES80

« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2019, 01:18:48 PM »
Of our better players numerous are transfers. I assume some of the lure could be playing for Lovie but likely more of it is come to UI and play in a P5 Conference and start immediately due to the lack of talent. Why the lack of talent well Lovie inherited a sparse cupboard but his recruiting hasn't been anything overly special.

I admit I was hopeful when he was hired thinking that his NFL experience in both StL and Chicago (nearby recruiting bases) would help draw lots of recruits to UIUC and while it may have helped somewhat it hasn't been nearly what most of us had hoped for.

I am really at a loss where they should turn if this year doesn't turn around. Is Rod Smith a possibility - could he do the job while at least hopefully keeping the offense intact?

A couple of names I would throw out are:

Mike Norvell (Memphis) he is 37 and Rod Carey (Temple formerly of NIU) he is 48

The Chief will live forever in the hearts of all Illini fans!

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2019, 05:03:03 PM »
And here I was thinking that the loss was all about the X’s n’ O’s; silly me. In reality, it was about the bad mojo that was brought to the stadium. 

Exhibit A:  Lovie’s beard (stillllll).
Exhibit B:  Those hideous orange jerseys combined with white helmets.

There ya have it.  Oust those two factors and we ought to run the table.
🙄

Offline player25

• You play to win the game!
  • Where's Efrem, I'll throw him an alley-oop!
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2019, 02:16:03 AM »
Rod Carey? Is he a former Fighting Illini RB?

Offline UEACES80

« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2019, 01:29:16 PM »
Rod Carey? Is he a former Fighting Illini RB?

No he was a former Center at Indiana / Head Coach at NIU from 2012-2018 now at Temple.
The Chief will live forever in the hearts of all Illini fans!