New 2019 Commit Bernard Kouma

• 31 replies

Offline ctibass

Re: New 2019 Commit Bernard Kouma
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2019, 12:22:39 PM »
Y'all are confusing me.

Are both January and Kouma not coming now?  Or just January?  Too many pronouns thrown around lol

Offline chief321

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2019, 01:05:05 PM »
I think Kouma is in if we are going to sign him...questions as to why we haven't signed him yet I guess.
We don't need to get a project...if he has ability and some skills ok...but I hope it's not a 'settling' type kid. 

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2019, 02:05:11 PM »
As to January, is it COMPLETELY out of the question that he enrolls in our friendly local JC, buffs up his grades and then transfers to the ILLINI?

« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2019, 02:39:13 PM »
I think Kouma is in if we are going to sign him...questions as to why we haven't signed him yet I guess.
We don't need to get a project...if he has ability and some skills ok...but I hope it's not a 'settling' type kid.

If by "settling" you mean a backup worthy of say 10-15 minutes a game or more as he grows into a spot behind Kofi for 3 years, then yes we are settling for him. January would have pushed Kofi and Giorgi for time more so than Kouma, but long term who knows.

Giorgi will be getting groomed to play more of a 4/wing type because he will play that as a pro, and it fits in with the system we now have with his present and improving skill set.

Offline Beast

• In the distance you hear the call
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2019, 03:29:56 PM »
Y'all are confusing me.

Are both January and Kouma not coming now?  Or just January?  Too many pronouns thrown around lol

January - NO
Kouma - could get placed at a prep school if they need the scholarship this spring.  Wait and see...
Vision without action is a daydream.  Action without vision is a nightmare.

Offline chief321

« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2019, 10:24:30 AM »
I'm wondering if Samba is staying around...Kedric Prince said on Twitter he wasn't sure he was going anywhere.
I'm not sure how good he can be...but he seems ok if they can bring him along...tough to find decent 7 footers. 

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2019, 10:39:03 AM »
Really starting to feel as if this might be a contigency scholarship offer...ie someone else (January) can't make it, someone else (Kane/whomever transfers) or someone else doesn't commit (Tomas W-Holyfield) then you can sign.

Cannot figure otherwise why an unranked under recruited 2-3 star player with this kind of offer has not actually signed.

Offline Beast

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2019, 01:45:59 PM »
Word is everyone is staying except Higgs (medical reasons).  All players were at workouts, so that's a good sign.

I think Samba will be productive in year 3 or 4 - if he hangs around that long. 

From what I have heard the offer to Kouma is a contingency offer.  The are waiting on Holyfield, Figueroa, and whatever name we haven't heard yet.  I just wish they'd get the 2019 class finished up already.

Offline Beast

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2019, 03:11:22 PM »
An update on Kouma:

"Illinois has been in contact with me way before December," said Kouma. "Coach Orlando Antigua thinks a lot about me, but I never knew. After a game once, at the Barclays Center, I really found out their interest in me. ... I picked Illinois because they're an up-and-coming program. I know they will push me to become better as a player which is what everyone is looking for in a staff."

During a game against Kahlil Whitney, a national top 10 prospect, from Roselle, N.J., Kouma was dominating; he scored 29 points and grabbed 17 rebounds to go along with three blocks.

Because the Illinois staff kept this recruitment quiet and there is not a lot of tape and information about him, Kouma said here is what the fans can expect from him for the next four years.

"I will rebound, rebound, rebound, block shots and try to finish everything around the rim; they will need that from me with the schedule they play," he said.

Kouma, a native of Chad, committed to the Illini without a visit, but that is not a big deal to him; he knew a lot about the program before the offer came.
https://qconline.com/sports/college/big-10/illinois/illini-adding-more-pieces-to-the-puzzle/article_ead54665-a9c9-58c2-84ae-2bdc43b6943b.html

Offline Beast

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2019, 03:12:00 PM »