Penn State Postgame

• 8 replies

Penn State Postgame
« on: March 10, 2019, 08:46:54 PM »
We lost this game 16 seconds into the 2nd half when Georgi needlessly picked up his 3rd

I like Underwood but I have to wonder what goes on in that locker room at halftime.  We seemed to come out in a daze in so many games we lost after the break ... both Indy games

I would seriously look at betting on NU if I lived in Vegas.  We have been so flat just when we looked like we had turned the season around.  Progress this year, but coulda (shoulda?) been more. 

Team seemed to stop playing defense, or maybe they just peaked out in February ?!?

Offline obmtl

Re: Penn State Postgame
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 10:20:44 PM »
offense was pathetic in the second half. defense not much better. Trent disappeared today. Griffin and Tev got no tick. Underwood said that was because of tempo. I don't know what tempo he saw that they couldn't have contributed to. We simply do not have the basketball players to compete with the top half of the B1G.

very disappointing last couple of weeks of the regular season. 2 games left at best.

Offline Beast

• In the distance you hear the call
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:52:38 AM »
The second half always seems to be the struggle with this team...

Vision without action is a daydream.  Action without vision is a nightmare.

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 11:58:05 AM »
Do or die for Underwood next year. Will we see another exodus this off season?

Offline Musson

• Me and "The Girls Next Door" Sorry boys!
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 12:58:45 PM »
Second half struggles are mostly due to style of play IMO. 

The pace is too high for a short bench.  Not having a big post option most of the time hurts also.  I know GB had his moments, and usually, we won those games. 

Need an option besides GB to give the pace of play more breaks by feeding the post for easier looks. 

Think about it.  The team basically depended on 7-8 guys, mostly guards, who just run outta gas in second halves. Either that or foul issues. 

The bench has to step up next year and one of the two bigs need to make themselves viable options
Centennial Chargers Class of 1992, we sucked, but still proud!!!? Lifetime member and founder of CTOWN POSSE!

« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 01:35:37 PM »
Good teams will always find a way to get the ball inside against our overplaying defense.  You need an active shot blocker in the middle to negate that.  We line up with an average athletic guys at 6'9, 6'5 Jordan and 6'2 Williams.  De La Rosa is a big body but not a shot blocker by any means.  Theres just too many ways to take advantage of that lineup.  When we shoot well, along with creating some to's because we play a different style of defense than everyone else in the Big10, we can get out to a lead, but teams make adjustments.  Without Giorgi having a great game, we have nothing on the inside except for the driving of Feliz in our halfcourt game.  The offense is made for longer guys who can come off of picks and shoot over the defender and the defense for long guys who can tip the ball away as we overplay.  We have 2 athletic 6'11 guys coming in.  Hopefully, Jones and or Griffin figure out how to become an offensive threat at the 3.  And Williams can up his 3 pt shooting %.  I believe Underwood has an offensive and defensive scheme which can be very effective.

Offline Musson

• Me and "The Girls Next Door" Sorry boys!
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 01:42:58 PM »
Me too.  And honestly, it’s the first time I’ve ever bought in to the whole “give him time to remake his roster”  deal. 

If there is an effective big and a bench that actually contributes, we could see a good turn around. 

I’m not even paying attention any more to what kid is on our recruiting radar or any of that stuff.  It’s becoming pretty apparent that the main thing is getting athletes who are pretty good at basketball is what’s needed. 
Centennial Chargers Class of 1992, we sucked, but still proud!!!? Lifetime member and founder of CTOWN POSSE!

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 06:26:36 PM »
Me too.  And honestly, it’s the first time I’ve ever bought in to the whole “give him time to remake his roster”  deal. 

If there is an effective big and a bench that actually contributes, we could see a good turn around. 

I’m not even paying attention any more to what kid is on our recruiting radar or any of that stuff.  It’s becoming pretty apparent that the main thing is getting athletes who are pretty good at basketball is what’s needed. 
Well as far as bench goes, I didnt think Jordan could shoot until he was a junior, so lets hope for the same from Williams.  And I think everyone else, especially the freshman this year will flourish next year as the last 6 or 7 games was the first time we've seen the entire offense.

Offline ctibass

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 09:25:36 PM »

Well as far as bench goes, I didnt think Jordan could shoot until he was a junior, so lets hope for the same from Williams.  And I think everyone else, especially the freshman this year will flourish next year as the last 6 or 7 games was the first time we've seen the entire offense.
I agree.  To have success, we need consistency, and consistency is not a common trait among underclassmen.  As these players mature, they will become more consistent performers and we'll hopefully see some complete games out of the team going forward.