After next season if the Illini aren't a tourney team
He shouldn't be fired - he needs more time

Should Underwood Be Fired?

• 6 replies

Offline Beast

• In the distance you hear the call
Should Underwood Be Fired?
« on: January 02, 2019, 02:12:00 PM »
There has been a lot of talk/discussion on whether or not Underwood should be fired or not - on all Illini boards and Twitter.  Just want to gauge the feeling here on I-N.
Vision without action is a daydream.  Action without vision is a nightmare.

Offline chief321

Re: Should Underwood Be Fired?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 02:54:43 PM »
With Alford getting canned, it's turned up discussion like this.  If he had won the Mizzou game, he'd be fine...the loss Saturday hurt bad as well. 
Idk to be honest.  If we end with less than 10 wins, which seems kinda likely, it'd be tough to keep him around, but that's only in my opinion...
It's a crappy situation no matter how you slice it.  He better get some top-notch talent coming in if he wants to feel safe. 

Offline Hawk

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 03:42:51 PM »
I personally think he's in over his head here and hes too "old school". We should have gone with a guy with more power conference head coaching experience, and we also need a strong recruiter for this program since a lot of the pipelines have been destroyed over the years due to bad PR or poor handling by past coaches.

there is ZERO buzz and interest around this program, its basically flat lined and needs to be resurrected somehow. Underwood is not the kind of guy you bring in for that job, he's the kind of guy you probably bring in once you've established your program and the name speaks for itself due to past recent history.

2005 was 15 years ago, kids being recruited now were not even alive, that's how long its been since we've been relevant on the national stage folks. Its sad but true
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 05:20:21 PM »
There are two performance issues that have fallen way, way short.  First whether or not they win, his team needs to show significant improvement. 

Secondly, he needs to recruit much better.  If neither of these changes, he needs to go at the conclusion of this season.  Prolonging his failures won't help.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2019, 05:53:43 PM »
I said after next season, but even that is dependant on 'no' recruits.  We have played good in Big games like Zaga and Mizzou, even though we have very little inside presence.  The right player fixes that, but we need our freshman to play some minutes, and to play well.

Offline obmtl

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2019, 11:50:28 PM »
there is nothing in terms of team performance to date to argue strongly to keep him here, but I don't know about firing him at this point. key indicators for me would be 1) is there any sign of improvement and being competitive on a consistent basis by season's end 2) do the guys work hard and play hard for him 3) how many guys transfer out at season's end 4) do we get any recruits that look like difference makers for next year 5) do we have any difference makers lined up beyond that 6) is fan support completely tanking and/or is there a booster revolt

I'm guessing the next two months will shed some light on most of those things

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 10:25:18 AM »
I don't get this. The program was a disaster when Underwood got here. Our best player and only true Big Ten quality big left a year early, leaving us with a slim freshman as our only inside presence, and to make it worse we play in the Big Ten where there are some very strong bigs. I know we like to drink the Kool Aid, but any objective assessment would say that this team would be pretty bad. We were picked to finish dead last in the Big Ten. We have some very talented young players, but they will need some time to develop, and they would be helped a lot by a strong presence inside. Seriously, we start two freshman, a sophomore, and two guys that would not start on virtually any other major conference team (in fact they wouldn't get significant minutes on many of those teams much less start).

Yet people would even consider firing him after 1.5 seasons? Really? And now we have had two highest back to back recruits in 35 years, one of whom is exactly the big strong inside presence this team needs. I mean, as long as he can come in and rebound and play decent D, that alone will make us a lot better, and take a lot of the pressure off the perimeter players, and let Giorgi play PF where he belongs. Plus the other young recruits will have a chance to develop, which should really help in a couple of years. Besides, what quality coach would take a job where the previous coach inherited a mess but was given less than two years to fix it?

Edit: here are our recruits since 2015, and who Underwood has to work with:

2015:
Coleman-Lands 4 star - gone
DJ Williams 4 star - gone
Aaron Jordan 3 star - here
Darius Paul 3 star - gone
Kipper Nichols 3 star - here
2016:
Te'Jon Lucas 3 star gone
2017:
Mark Smith 4 star - gone
Trent Frazier 4 star - here
Da'monte Williams 3 star - here
Greg Eboigbodin 3 star - gone
Matic Vesel 3 star - gone

So other than the 2018 class of freshmen, coach has exactly four recruits from previous classes, only two of which are Jrs or Srs, one 4 star and three 3 star recruits, none of which are bigger than 6'6" 220 lbs (and that guy plays smaller than this listed size). Seriously, who is going to win with those guys and some true freshmen in the Big Ten???? Even if you blame coach for losing Mark Smith, he wouldnt have helped much anyway because he is at a position of strength on this team (guard), not an inside presence like we really need.

« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 10:42:25 AM by Illini84 »