What record gets Underwood fired?

• 14 replies

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
What record gets Underwood fired?
« on: December 23, 2018, 02:43:12 PM »
 :MrFurious:8-23, with no recruits and a couple transfers? He's unpleasant in most ways, and after watching him this year, I just don't get the hire.

Offline chief321

Re: What record gets Underwood fired?
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2018, 03:07:28 PM »
The optics of canning a coach after 2 years aren't good.  BU seems to be trying to accomplish it though. We are in a bad place. 
If he doesn't win 10 games, I believe he's gone though...that would be pitiful. 

Offline QCPost33

• Old UI Hippie Engineer
  • Baseball Sucks
« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2018, 04:48:41 PM »
Not looking good so far, but I think he's back next year with virtually the same team plus any recruit he snags
Still crazy

Offline obmtl

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2018, 06:02:46 PM »
he's back next year no matter what.

Online ctibass

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2018, 02:28:11 AM »
Yeah, unless they go 0 for the rest of the season looking worse and worse in each game...with the gauntlet they played in the non-conference with only 4 returning players, it was drinking kool-aid to think their record would be much different than it currently is.

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2018, 09:34:36 AM »
Underwood will be back next season but the results maybe the same. The braggin rights game has me concerned because I picked up on some things. This game is a rivalry but this year it was extra personal. I paid attention to the body language, interactions and facial expressions before, during and after the game and the negative energy coming from Smith, Pickett and Tilmon was overwhelming. During the post game handshake line Smith was frigid and didn't even make eye contact with BU. I'm an old school guy but I don't think BU's in your face style doesn't translate well to today's kids. If you scowl, scream and publicly undress today's kids all of the time eventually they will tune you out and want to transfer.     
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2018, 01:35:58 PM »
He will be back no matter what.

He gave Smith every chance to play, and he couldn't get it done on the court. When Smith was starting there weren't issues. You have to put your best players on the floor, and we got better when Smith didn't start.

Illinois has some good young talent, but like when Bruce didn't have a PG, we have gaps in terms of talent and experience - this time we totally lack an inside presence and are outsized against most opponents. Would be better if our young bigs were sophs or jr's and the guards were freshmen, because it takes bigs longer to develop and our bigs are very raw.

We have to give him time. Changing coaches won't change anything, and the best coaches wouldn't want this job now. We need to hope we can at least recruit better and rebuild the program so that if these coaches fail, the next coaches have something to work with.

But it does make me laugh when I remember people saying we HAD to get rid of RG and Bruce and Zook because 'couldn't get worse'. There is something to be said for consistency and building long-term ties for recruiting etc that gets upset when you switch coaches every few years.

Also, when you change coaches this often, and the results are the same or worse, it says that either you have gotten remarkably unlucky with your choices, or that maybe there are other issues at play. The best coaches we have had during my UI fan days were coaches like Mike White and Lou Henson and Self, all of whom operated in the grey area to some extent - a grey area that to many programs is normal.

Offline QCPost33

• Old UI Hippie Engineer
  • Baseball Sucks
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2018, 02:38:52 PM »
Coach needs to get over himself a bit and play the younger players to prepare for next year. I want to see more of Griffin, Kane and Tevian when his suspension is over. Get a couple more recruits plus Higgs next year and build
Still crazy

Offline chief321

« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2018, 12:36:58 PM »
All I know is BU got more bad pub out of the Mizzou game than he's had up until this point.
He definitely needs to make some adjustments.
No, he prob doesn't get fired after 2 years and shouldn't...but we are at a low point.
I still think if we fails to get to 10 wins, it would be a seat hot enough a guy would want to hover.

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2018, 03:10:52 AM »
This team could win as few as 8 games this season - it won't matter

UNDERWOOD IS COMING BACK

Jamar Smith helped sink Weber, Kendrick Nunn killed Groce.  EJ Gordon, Darius Paul, these mollycoddled kids cost Illini coaches their jobs.  Nice guys, solid citizens ... but both past coaches provided largely unwatchable basketball. 

Underwood demands high performance on both ends; boys are expected to man up
, and can't.  Pouty Mark Smith still can't - does that punk have any idea of what BU did for him?

Underwood will get this year and next.  There's more than enough talent within a days drive to make the program work, even with his gruff style that modern man-children disdain.