Zags Post Game Thread
« on: November 20, 2018, 03:07:52 AM »
Trent with a spectacular second half

Made the #3 ranked Zags work till the final buzzer

Progress ... gotta keep that in mind

Offline obmtl

Re: Zags Post Game Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 03:29:53 AM »
if we had anybody that could defend the lane we could be dangerous. still so many layups surrendered and fouls given up. some pretty bad officiating imo. bad calls went both ways, but I think we were on the short end of the stick more often.

far better outcome than I expected. didn't quit when down 14. still a long ways to go. still need to get more balance in production.

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 04:37:43 AM »
Just when you thought Giorgi would be CotG in a well-fought 15 point loss, Trent shook off the concussion and came within an open Jordan three of pulling the collar off the bulldawgs.  But he needs someone else to hit some shots. I think Griffin could be that guy to give Jordan a lil more rest.  AJ played a heck of a defensive game but we also have to have his shots to fall. 

In games like this, Kipper has to board.  We've all seen him do it.  Rough game for Ayo.  No offense really from Williams either.  We played hard and we gave a good account of ourselves in front of a national audience, though not much on the east coast.

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 08:47:49 AM »
Great effort in a hard fought loss.

* Griffin has earned some more PT
* Giorgi B will be a real problem for the BT by his JR year if he continues to improve.
* Trent with some huge 3's in the 2nd half
* We need a solid 4 man who can defend the post and board. We are going to struggle against teams with multiple bigs
* Kipper was a no show today, he has to step up his game
* Ayo with off game

My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline lwchicago

• If you could turn back the hands of time
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2018, 11:44:08 AM »
Very good game, the officials had to much to do with the outcome of the game.

The were ready for Frazier taking the last shot. The last 2 plays you get both shots blocked because he was the primary ball handler and never gave it up. He should have been the one setting the pic. 3 or 4 mistakes cost them the game. I agree that they need someone at least 6'8 and above playing the 4. Kiper is a 3 not a 4.

I say play Giorgi at the 4, start the grad player at the 5, start Kiper at the 3 because Jordan is getting beat on the boards then Ayo and Frazier, sub from there.
When life gets tough........I get tougher

Offline chief321

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 12:38:20 PM »
We looked solid...Gonzaga is a good team. 
I think we will fare better than some are giving us credit for IF we play like that.
Need to win a couple of games out there now...

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2018, 02:19:45 PM »
Very good game, the officials had to much to do with the outcome of the game.

The were ready for Frazier taking the last shot. The last 2 plays you get both shots blocked because he was the primary ball handler and never gave it up. He should have been the one setting the pic. 3 or 4 mistakes cost them the game. I agree that they need someone at least 6'8 and above playing the 4. Kiper is a 3 not a 4.

I say play Giorgi at the 4, start the grad player at the 5, start Kiper at the 3 because Jordan is getting beat on the boards then Ayo and Frazier, sub from there.
Jordan got something like 10 boards.  At 6'2, Williams got about the same.  Kipper is only a good player if he really brings it.  He isn't quick enough to play the 3 imo because 3's often times get switched to the 2 or even the pg.  If he is hitting shots, then maybe he is still a plus at the 3.  Still, I think Jordan is a better perimeter player.  But Ive seen him go up against the very best bigs and hold his own on the boards.

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2018, 02:34:53 PM »
Another thing, the Zags pg is good, but he was doing a lot of talking last nite, and I think Trent put him in his place.  3rd place team in country escapes with a win on a neutral court against the Big10 bottom dweller.  I just simply cannot understand why a quality big wouldn't want to play on a team like this. With a guy like Antwan January, this team competes for the Big 10 title if Ayo and Griffin are who I think they are

Offline chief321

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2018, 04:54:21 PM »
Agree...hope we get an Antwan February and March to come along too.   :gulp: :gulp: