0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 14

Lovie Countdown

• 15 replies

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
Re: Lovie Countdown
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »
We have an accomplished coach. The easy thing is to start all over. Now we can see if we can win with stability.

Offline Beast

• In the distance you hear the call
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2018, 09:26:52 AM »
As much as most think Lovie should be gone, on Twitter, the recruits seem to be in full support of it.  I guess we'll see how this works out.
Vision without action is a daydream.  Action without vision is a nightmare.

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2018, 01:13:21 PM »
I am in favor of this decision. We need to let him have a chance to win with his own players - we played one senior and 80% freshmen and sophomores this year. We also lost some key players to off the field issues, including our best defensive player.

We also need some continuity in recruiting. I don't know that Lovie will ever succeed here, but at least the cupboard wont be bare when he leaves, and the new coach would have something to work with.

Part of my thinking is that we underestimate how hard it is to win at Illinois. I live in Texas now, and I am telling you that when it comes to recruiting 'student athletes' and dealing with off-field issues, we are not in the same ballpark as some other conferences and programs. Hell, we are not even in the same universe. It has been that way for a long time, but we dont want to face up to it. No coincidence that our best recruiting in the last decade or so was with Zook when Locksley was here. Programs in the SEC and so many other places (even a prominent one in the B10) are full of Locksleys, and much worse. Issues are hushed up. Money is everywhere, greasing the wheels of NCAA success. Either from supporters or from the shoe companies.

The exact same logic applies to hoops. We had our best recruiting under Self, who left here in part because he knew RG didnt approve of being in the grey area, or worse. We did OK under Weber and Zook, and were at least competitive. I remember the people who were so happy when RG left and assured us it couldnt be worse. How did that work out? Thomas was MUCH worse than RG. When we were told Weber HAD to go, it couldnt be worse. Uh, ya still think that? Same for Zook, he HAD to go, couldnt get worse... until it did, MUCH worse. Now Weber is at KSU, an inferior program/recruiting grounds, putting better teams than ours on the court, year in and year out. How much more evidence before we face the fact that if we dont bend the rules, it is much MUCH harder to win. Sure, it can happen, look at Purdue... but it's much more difficult and much more unlikely, and even if we find a coach who can win like that, he will likely leave for greener pastures like Self did and like Brohm is doing. Places where it's easier to win. No coincidence that Saban left MSU, Wisconsin's coach left for Arkansas, and now Brohm is leaving for Louisville. Some of those are at best laterals in terms of prestige, but they are all steps up in terms of being able to recruit and win. What does that tell you?

Our coaches need time to establish continuity. Unless there is an absolute slam dunk, sure thing replacement (does such a thing even exist?), we need to let these guys have time to rebuild the program from the total devastation after RG left. Wasn't the writing on the wall when we heard about the Derrick Rose recruiting? The money would have been there at KU, as it was at Memphis and so many other places. I knew right then that it was unlikely we could recruit the truly elite athletes, but we didnt want to face that, and blamed Weber (who admittedly wasnt the most dynamic recruiter, haha), when a lot of the issue had nothing to do with Weber but the NCAAB environment for McD-AA recruiting.

Sorry, but as bad as things are, I dont see how we have any other choice. Besides, what coach would want to come here, now?

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2018, 10:37:22 PM »
I was listening to sports radio here in the Atlanta area and they were having a good laugh at this extension. Then they had a 3 minute discussion on how bad Illinois football has become. The words trash, horrible and embarrassing were used and it was suggested that Illinois be kicked out of the big ten. I know it's just radio BS but it's not a good feeling when you see how the world outside of the BT views our program.
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline ctibass

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2018, 10:45:15 PM »
I was listening to sports radio here in the Atlanta area and they were having a good laugh at this extension. Then they had a 3 minute discussion on how bad Illinois football has become. The words trash, horrible and embarrassing were used and it was suggested that Illinois be kicked out of the big ten. I know it's just radio BS but it's not a good feeling when you see how the world outside of the BT views our program.
Which station was talking like that?  I can think of a couple guys on 92.9 who might say it, but they're jackasses anyways.  Must've been 680 which is full of DB's.

I'm so sick and tired of sportswriters who do not watch outside of their area making comments about other conferences.  They are the reason he got the extension.  Too many national and regional(not Midwest) guys saying that Lovie was on the "hot seat" when anybody who has followed even the conference knows that his seat was nowhere near warm. 

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2018, 11:12:00 PM »
Which station was talking like that?  I can think of a couple guys on 92.9 who might say it, but they're jackasses anyways.  Must've been 680 which is full of DB's.

I'm so sick and tired of sportswriters who do not watch outside of their area making comments about other conferences.  They are the reason he got the extension.  Too many national and regional(not Midwest) guys saying that Lovie was on the "hot seat" when anybody who has followed even the conference knows that his seat was nowhere near warm.

92.9 Rick and John, I never listen to 680
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!