Hoyas post game thread

• 10 replies

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
Hoyas post game thread
« on: November 13, 2018, 11:53:16 PM »
Sucks to lose this early in the season but we gave a good effort. Kipper had a bad last 2 minutes.

LET IT RIP!!!!!
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline obmtl

Re: Hoyas post game thread
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 12:04:52 AM »
didn't see it, could only listen on the radio. this is what it sounded like -- layup, putback, layup, putback, foul, ft good, ft good, foul, ft good, ft good, foul. none of it in our favor.

where is the elite shooting? we will get killed against anybody with any decent warm body in the paint.

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 12:30:50 AM »
Ayo was great, William's played well, and we have depth at the 1,2 and 3. We played without Trent, and we'll have DeRosa healthy by the time the B10 season comes around. Giorgi can play. I think we'll be good.

Offline obmtl

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 12:51:02 AM »
there were some good things. just more bad things and our defense despite all of the turnovers we force is still a weakness. give up too many easy shots and too many fouls - often really dumb ones. no way to know how it would have gone with Frazier.

If we are within 20 of Gonzaga into the second half I'll be surprised, although I think Klee said a couple of weeks ago that they will be missing one of their bigs.

Offline chief321

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 10:55:41 AM »
I went to the game...
Giorgi is good...he held his own both on offense and defense...we got lucky there.
Ayo made a couple/three force-type mistakes, but he's solid...our best player last night...Trent and he will be amazing together.
Feliz is tough...killer on D and solid going to the hole.  He can hang with some serious competition. 
Damonte looked really good...should be a huge piece all season. 
Jordan did nothing...one point...can't have that.  Has to hit a shot but in fairness if Trent is driving and dishing it may open him up.
Kipper was a dud...terrible finish and poor effort at times.
De La Rosa if he can get his legs under him is a big dude...seems decent but not sure he can get where we need him to...could be wrong.  It will be nice to have him along, but I don't see how he unseats Giorgi as a starter either.
Like how Griffin and Jones move. Tevian is a helluva athlete.
I hate that we again couldn't close a winnable game but walked away feeling enthused about this season and the future...we have some athletes finally.

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 11:22:00 AM »
Ayo is the real deal. We were down by 1 under a minute to go and we missed an open 3.  We were very close to winning this game.. without Frazier!  Intense game- close all the way through.  Gtown has some athletes and they can handle and shoot the ball.  Giorgi impressed me.  I wish he had a little more size but can play.  Hoping Griffin becomes our next great shooter.  Tevin Jones reminds me of Brian Cook.  He kinda needs to grow into his body.

We lost this game because we couldn't stop dribble penetration and as Underwood said, we lost a lot of 50/50 balls.  On that alone, we would have won this game with Trent.  Good game all in all.

Offline lwchicago

• If you could turn back the hands of time
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 12:48:27 PM »
That was a very good game. I see this game as a  tune up. You can sit back and say whatever you want and pick apart what they didn't do or did wrong but one thing you have to remember arguably the best player on the team didn't play and they only lost by 8. Frazier plays and that's a totally different game with a different ending.
When life gets tough........I get tougher

Offline QCPost33

• Old UI Hippie Engineer
  • Baseball Sucks
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 03:23:49 PM »
Several good things from the game. We have strong guard play. Georgetown has good guards also. Giorgi is a good player, needs to improve his screens since that's where he is picking up fouls. Good passer and shooter. Ayo is the real deal. Kipper had a bad night. They out rebounded us big in the second half. More depth at the 4/5 will help that. they overplayed Jordan so he couldn't get good looks. I think they were a little off in their rotations without Trent. It was a fun game to watch compared to a couple years ago. I also thought the officiating left a little to be desired. They missed several calls against them but made the calls on us it seemed.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 03:26:03 PM by QCPost33 »
Still crazy

Offline MstrThespi

• Years in the Making
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2018, 04:19:28 PM »
Overall I was very encouraged by this game. We do have some players this year, and it looks like two or three of the other guys may still show up. I think we're going to have a fun year.

When you try to run that fast transition game all the time like BU likes to do, you can get burned on the other end, too. That is a big vulnerability, last year's team never figured it out. Hopefully, this group can.

Definitely missed Trent. When he returns so will Jordan.

But I think we have some studs for a change, and Coach has got them playing without fear.

Offline lwchicago

• If you could turn back the hands of time
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 12:03:25 PM »
Overall I was very encouraged by this game. We do have some players this year, and it looks like two or three of the other guys may still show up. I think we're going to have a fun year.

When you try to run that fast transition game all the time like BU likes to do, you can get burned on the other end, too. That is a big vulnerability, last year's team never figured it out. Hopefully, this group can.

Definitely missed Trent. When he returns so will Jordan.

But I think we have some studs for a change, and Coach has got them playing without fear.

I agree
When life gets tough........I get tougher