247 Preseason Big Ten Basketball Power Rankings

• 5 replies

Offline Beast

• In the distance you hear the call
247 Preseason Big Ten Basketball Power Rankings
« on: October 30, 2018, 12:36:43 PM »
13. ILLINOIS

Pre-Season AP ranking: Not ranked

Key Returnees: Trent Frazier (12.5 ppg, 3.1 apg), Kipper Nichols (10.0 ppg, 4.2 rpg), Aaron Jordan (7.9 ppg, 3.1 rpg), Da’Monte Williams (3.5 ppg, 2.9 rpg)

Key Losses: Leron Black (15.3 ppg, 5.2 rpg), Michael Finke (9.8 ppg, 4.6 rpg), Mark Alstork (5.8 ppg, 3.4 rpg), Mark Smith (5.8 ppg, 1.4 apg), Te’Jon Lucas (5.7 ppg, 3.2 apg), Greg Eboigbodin (2.2 ppg, 2.4 rpg)

Key Additions: (rankings are 247Sports composite)

Ayo Dosunmu- 6'5, 185, No. 32
Tevian Jones- 6'7, 205, No. 119
Alan Griffin- 6'5, 180, No. 185
Samba Kane- 7'0, 220, No. 281
Giorgi Bezhanishvili- 6'9, 235, No. 370
Adonis De La Rosa- 7'0, 260, Transfer from Kent State where he averaged 11.8 points and 7.6 rebounds as a junior during the 2017-2018 season.
Andres Feliz- 6'2, 185, Junior College Transfer from Northwest Florida State where he averaged 20.0 points, 6.1 assists as a sophomore during the 2017-2018 season.

Outlook:

Year one of the Brad Underwood era was a tough one as the Illini struggled and finished the season with a 14-18 record. Expectations weren't high in year one as it takes a new coach time to establish his culture and standards, especially in a system like Underwood runs.

The first full off-season of Underwood's tenure saw a good bit of roster turnover. Illinois will have to replace five players that averaged five or more points a season ago, but the Illini will be able to reply on two double figure scorers from last season as Trent Frazier and Kipper Nichols both returned to school.

Brad Underwood was able to find some success on the recruiting trail during his first season as he landed a top 40 prospect in Chicago guard Ayo Dosunmu. Dosunmu will be given the keys to the car and should make an immediate impact.

Illinois will have very little front court depth this season, and will likely turn to Kent State transfer Adonis De La Rosa for a chunk of the minutes. However, De La Rosa may need some time to work his way back as he is still in the process of recovering from a knee injury.

Year two of the Underwood era will be better, but the Illini are no where close to being ready to compete with the best teams in the conference.

https://247sports.com/college/illinois/ContentGallery/Preseason-Big-Ten-Mens
Vision without action is a daydream.  Action without vision is a nightmare.

Offline Beast

Re: 247 Preseason Big Ten Basketball Power Rankings
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2018, 12:58:20 PM »
My biggest take:

"Year two of the Underwood era will be better, but the Illini are no where close to being ready to compete with the best teams in the conference."

It will be better, but to say "no where ready to compete" is a bit over the top and uninformed.  I can understand how the outsiders see it that way, but I guess it's my homer-ism that has me thinking we can "compete" with anyone. Now, whether we win or not is a different story.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2018, 01:26:52 PM »
On paper, we are no better than last year.  Last year, we had Black, Finke, and expectations from Smith.  This year, we have Frazier and expectations from Ayo.  Everything else is pretty much a wash.  But last year was a new system, and this year, its not.

Offline Beast

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 01:48:47 PM »
"On paper" - I can agree with that.  But I think we can, and will, at least compete. 

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2018, 04:01:41 PM »
Athalon sports magazine calls us to finish '13th'. 

On the plus side, they rank our frosh as the 5th best class in the BIG.  Guards get a plug, but they bash the front line

The Georgetown team that just beat us on our court is predicted to make the NIT.  The Zags, on the other hand, are expected to make the Final Four FWIW

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2018, 08:06:57 PM »
I watched a GCU game this year and I can honestly say that Tim impresses me a lot more than Michael, who looked very slow at the 4 position.  We expected Finke to be one of our team leaders last year, and he really wasn't the consistant semi-force in the middle we were hoping for.  And we know that Smith was barely court-worthy.

My point is that if Ayo can produce this year per Black last year, we have a very good chance of being better because Smith and Finke's numbers aren't much to surpass.  At this point, I believe that can and will be the case.  But to be better, someone else really needs to step up.