Illini V-Ball 2018

• 17 replies

Offline obmtl

Re: Illini V-Ball 2018
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2018, 11:55:40 PM »
first one in the book with a pretty easy sweep; typical first round mismatch. Louisville will be tougher.

B1G undefeated in first round. Wisky already won their 2nd round match. Shouldn't look ahead too far, but could be something of a B1G tourney IF nobody gets upset. Could be Illinois-Wisky and Nebraska-Minnesota in regional finals with winners meeting in the national semis.

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2018, 12:40:36 AM »
As Obmtl said, Louisville was tougher but we won 3-1.  The first 2 sets were close, Illini winning the first and losing the 2nd.  We won the last 2 sets somewhat easily.

We play Marquette in the Sw16 at Huff next weekend.  Marquette matches up sizewise with anyone in the country and will be a tough match.

Only Purdue, of the Big, has lost so we still have 6 teams in.  Pac12 has 4 or 5, SEC with 2, 1 ea from B12, ACC, and WAC.

Offline MrGuy

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2018, 04:25:57 PM »
I haven't been on this board in a long time, but I have followed this team very closely. Glad to see someone picked up the torch, thanks Illinproph. Like he said, if you can get out to the game DO IT! I used to be a football guy but after 2011, started following V ball more and found it a more interesting sport; faster paced, fewer blow-outs and Illinois is actually a really good program with very high potential (as long as we keep our coach; Josh seems to have gotten that one right). I'll give my own analysis later but I want to do two things:

1. Please come to the game if you can. It is easy to follow, relatively short, inexpensive and the athletes deserve the support. Is there any doubt this is the best team on campus right now? We sold out the last two regular season games but couldn't sell out the first two rounds of the NCAA games. Hosting regionals should be a big advantage, help make sure it is. You can buy GA tickets through the ticket office by phone or online or at the ticket office. Would be best if you did that before as we had to turn away people for the last regular season games.

2. Please vote for two of the seniors, Jordan Poulter and Ali Bastianelli, for the CLASS award. It is a prestigious awards for accomplishments in the classroom and in the gym. Part of it is decided by a fan vote. We have until the end of today (December 3). Go to http://www.seniorclassaward.com/vote/volleyball_2018/ to vote

« Last Edit: December 03, 2018, 04:54:50 PM by MrGuy »

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2018, 05:10:59 PM »
I tried, but for some reason, I dont get the 'box' on my screen to check.

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2018, 05:06:22 PM »
We play friday at 11am against Marquette.  If you are near Champaign, it would be great if you'd support these girls and go to the game.  Coach Tamas is trying to put the Illini into the elite class w Nebraska and Penn St in this sport.  If we can win, we will play the winner of Wisky/San Diego for a trip to the final 4.  This team could go all the way. Visit the Illini wvball twitter page.

Offline ctibass

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 11:44:18 PM »
3-0 win sets up an elite 8 match with Wisconsin.  We split with them during the regular season, each team winning at the others gym.

In other news #2 Minnesota upset by Oregon, so Minnesota is no longer in our way to a national title.

Offline obmtl

« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2018, 07:32:06 PM »
FINAL FOUR!  We made those last sets closer than necessary, but got it done.

No Minnesota, but either Nebraska or the team that was better than Minnesota. Will be a tough match either way.

« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2018, 02:21:14 AM »
Final Four Baby!!!

Swept Marquette and beat Wisky 3-1.  We played excellent against Marquette.  Poulter, Quade and Bastianelli are seemingly always good, but I felt Megan Cooney and Ashlyn Fleming hit well.  We were solid serving and in our backcourt defense.  We seemed to be in control the whole match against a big 14th ranked Marquette team which features one of the best hitters in vball.

Wisky is ranked 6th for good reason.  They have the best Middle Blocker in the country in 6'8 Dana Rettke.  Their hitters are solid and their setter is one of the best right there with ours.  Their defensive backcourt outplayed ours handily imo. They got most of the 50/50 balls too. Like us, they have been on quite a winning streak.  Yet we pulled it out, mainly because of 3 reasons.  Despite their size, we block better.  We serve better.  And Jackie Quade was on fire.  And when Beth Prince hit the winner, Huff hall went nuts.

We play Nebraska on ESPN on Thursday evening.  We split in the regular season.  Stanford and BYU play the other semi-final. We can win this.