Roquan Smith issue

• 7 replies

Offline Hawk

Roquan Smith issue
« on: August 02, 2018, 11:55:56 AM »
I was actually in the middle on this issue because guys get suspended now for such stupid shit because of the new contact rules and what not because Goodell is a jackass. HOWEVER,  the Bears caved on the guarantee for on field issue, but NOW he wants it even if hes suspended for off field issues too!  LOL!! what??

Who does this guy think he is, apparently he thinks hes better than every player not only on his own team but the league too since nobody has a deal like that. With all the domestic violence issues and other things that seem to be present lately in the league I dont blame the Bears from walking away from this now and id be prepared to let him sit the year if he wants to play this ridiculous game of contract chicken!! seriously youre worried about losing a few thousand, how much ya gonna lose not playing for a year Roquan? thats what id say! its not like the Bears are contenders, they could use another high pick this year again. 

I mean he must really think hes going to get into trouble off the field if hes that worried about it and is standing firm on it, and in that case id be even more firm if I were the Bears. Plus you cant set a precedent for this or every guy on the team in going to want it

https://www.windycitygridiron.com/2018/8/1/17640946/chicago-bears-report-roquan-smith-agree-on-helmet-issue-behaviorial-clause-the-issue-now

on Wednesday that the Bears have in fact agreed to leave Smith’s guaranteed money alone if he were to be suspended for an illegal tackle. Now, the issue at hand relates to the rookie’s off-the-field behavior. His agency, CAA Football now wants to ensure that his contract shields him from any discipline that may potentially result from off-the-field issues.

Haugh had this to say on the issue:

The Bears’ reluctance to [include contract language that would protect Smith from discipline] revolves around their fear of setting a precedent for future contracts and has nothing to do with concerns about Smith’s character, the source said.
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
Re: Roquan Smith issue
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2018, 09:56:17 PM »
NBC just reported this is not exactly true
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline Hawk

« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2018, 10:55:28 AM »
NBC just reported this is not exactly true

Yeah it may or may not be off the field, but it is centered around behavioral. they have given him the guarantee for any NFL rules violations during play, which i can understand the new rules are BS. I think its ridiculous though to expect a team to say "sure you can do whatever you want on the field during or NOT during play and we'll still pay you". I'm on the side of the Bears on this one now. Just play football and don't act like a jackass when the clock isnt ticking and you have nothing to worry about, right?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/08/01/bears-move-on-voiding-of-guarantees-but-not-far-enough/
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2018, 05:24:05 PM »
yeah the whole thing is weird, I think its more his agency that wants it than him. Make them more money with other guys

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2018, 01:26:14 PM »
Now saying Smith is missing whole preseason, and not even talking

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2018, 05:26:31 PM »
It's CAA, and he's letting them use him. They picked onthe Chargers last year with Bosa, this year it's the Bears turn. The NFL owners make unilateral decisions, which should be part of the CBA, and the agents try to minimize the impact. A strike in 2021 is looking like a sure thing.

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2018, 10:34:26 PM »
smith is signed all good lol

Offline joker2305

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2018, 11:55:53 AM »
It's CAA, and he's letting them use him. They picked onthe Chargers last year with Bosa, this year it's the Bears turn. The NFL owners make unilateral decisions, which should be part of the CBA, and the agents try to minimize the impact. A strike in 2021 is looking like a sure thing.
interesting take.. is that when the current cba is up? the contract language, guaranteed amounts, national anthem policy, etc. have definitely been hot button topics lately, that I'm sure the players would like to re-negotiate. they're not gonna get everything they want, but I could definitely see a strike happening with all of these grievances from the players
"I see pride! I see power! I see a badass mudda, who don't take no shit off of nobody!"