Summer Recruiting Thread

• 208 replies

Re: Summer Recruiting Thread
« Reply #30 on: June 07, 2018, 09:31:06 PM »
could have really used leron black sticking around for one more year.

Offline ctibass

« Reply #31 on: June 07, 2018, 09:33:53 PM »
Sounds to me like the kid got homesick...

Offline chief321

« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2018, 08:37:26 AM »
We are going to get eaten alive inside. Yikes i can't believe we are so inept at recruiting kids with some size. We can't compete real well in conference with no bigs.
I don't see us being much over .500...prob under

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2018, 08:51:40 AM »
I wish Greg E. well but I don't feel like his contribution will be missed much. Yes, we need size but I'm pretty upbeat about the upcoming season with the infusion of new blood in the program.   
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline chief321

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2018, 09:44:02 AM »
I'm excited about the new talent as well but definitely concerned about size. 
Looking forward to seeing how all of the freshman look, esp ayo, jones and griffin. 

Offline Hawk

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2018, 11:29:44 AM »
wait...we lost another one?!!   :gulp:

If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2018, 11:38:13 AM »
holy crap somebody get Underwood a copy of "How to Build a Basketball Program For Dummies", or something.

gotta keep kids longer than a season to build one Brad!! 

welcome to year 1 part 2 :Wallbash:
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2018, 12:18:26 PM »

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2018, 10:56:41 PM »
It's amazing to have no experience what so ever at the 5 going into your second year at HC. Good luck! This just doesn't happen by accident, must be the new model....

Offline obmtl

« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2018, 06:52:58 PM »
Chin was on Saturday Sportstalk today and had some interesting takes. He said they weren't worried about the 5 spot because according to him we didn't get beat by centers. Our guards put on so much pressure that the opponent couldn't get the ball inside. Mizzou was case in point. Haas didn't beat us, Happ didn't beat us. That may have been the theory, but that is not at all the way I remember it playing out. Seems to me we saw a layup line and slam dunk fest against us frequently last year.

Recruiting is still ongoing - as always. Ked Prince was on later and said they are working on Kai Jones to reclassify to '18. Says he likes Illinois a lot and we have a good shot if he does reclassify.

He did say that the guys coming in are bigger, longer and more versatile than the guys that left. Playing with multiple PG types is common at both college and NBA level, so expect to see that at Illinois. Ayo, Griffin and Jones are all 'ball in the hands' guys and can get their own shot and shoot from outside. Since I haven't seen any of them play I'll take his word for it. I hope he is right - both about the guards and about the need for bigs. 
« Last Edit: June 09, 2018, 06:54:40 PM by obmtl »