Recruiting Thread

• 559 replies

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
Re: Recruiting Thread
« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2018, 09:31:46 PM »
We?re paying this guy 3 mil to make Illinois great again.  It?s not time to panic yet but I?m not impressed. Recruiting is starting to become a concern. Ayo won?t make a difference if we don?t find some shooters and some rebounders.

its too soon to panic. BUT I agree, we need to hit on more players. If we go into next year with no bigs or two more projects, we'll be an NIT team again. Then year 3 becomes a must win year.

I still think we have the right guy but we have regressed, not progressed, as the season has gone on. Same with Foosball. I am willing to be patient but I need PROGRESSION
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2018, 09:32:36 PM »
on a side note Duke has the top 3 players in next years class, plus #8, as of now. lol

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2018, 09:52:52 PM »
Not even close to time to panic.  The basketball program is in great hands and we will get the players.  There are a few guys that IMO won't be here next year because they are sleep walking. Kipper, AJ & Finke will all likely transfer, IMO. Lucas could as well. 

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2018, 09:59:54 PM »
Not even close to time to panic.  The basketball program is in great hands and we will get the players.  There are a few guys that IMO won't be here next year because they are sleep walking. Kipper, AJ & Finke will all likely transfer, IMO. Lucas could as well. 

we aren't going to add 7 new players next year though, I can buy 1-2 of that scenario though

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2018, 10:18:27 PM »

Aj makes the most sense. Just never panned out here.  Would?ve thought his floor coming out of HS was that of Sean Harrington. 

« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2018, 10:19:48 PM »
on a side note Duke has the top 3 players in next years class, plus #8, as of now. lol

Coach K has become what he conplained about a few years ago.

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #16 on: January 20, 2018, 10:22:14 PM »
he sure did

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #17 on: January 20, 2018, 10:32:56 PM »
And that Duke class is just emblematic of how hard it is to win at schools not named Kentucky, Duke, UNC & Kansas. It is just such uneven playing field. No team should have 4 of the top 10 recruits in the country. If Ratface loses with that talent he should be kicked out of the game.

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #18 on: January 20, 2018, 10:36:37 PM »

Aj makes the most sense. Just never panned out here.  Would?ve thought his floor coming out of HS was that of Sean Harrington. 
Yeah I agree.  I think Finke is going to feel the pressure to go play with little bro and get away from the heat from our fan base.

Phil, I agree we won't Bing in 7 guys but we have to have at least one transfer for this to be a 3 man class.  We really need Tevian Jones to commit soon. Maybe if we get him that will convince a big man to step up and commit.

Offline obmtl

« Reply #19 on: January 20, 2018, 10:43:14 PM »
Saturday Sportstalk had Kedric Prince on today and they were discussing roster changes. Prince said next year's roster will look very different. He said recruits are telling him that they are hearing a lot more from Illinois. Didn't say which recruits. He speculated that Black, Frazier, Smith, Williams and Ebo are probably safe. Jordan he said isn't going anywhere because he is only 12 credit hours from graduation. That only leaves Lucas, Finke and Nichols among those that play regularly who could be Creaned or go the grad transfer route. At this point I would say Lucas and Nichols are almost certainly gone, but who knows. Maybe they can work their way out of the doghouse. Creaning somebody means you have to have a suitable replacement and I don't know from where that will come. We already have open scholarships we can't seem to fill.

Underwood said in the radio postgame that some guys are making the same mistakes game in and game out and he will stop playing them. That means the bench may be shortened, but our foul rate is going to have to drop to do that. Cayce and Vesel both played more minutes vs Wisky than either Jordan or Nichols, so I'm guessing that Nichols and Jordan are among those that he wasn't happy with and who will be sitting more. Finke may also see his minutes drop while Ebo's continue to go up - if he can stay out of foul trouble.

If you are in Underwood's shoes, what do you do? He says he is more stubborn than the players, but it might be a better plan to adapt to what your guys can do rather than continue to try to make them do things they don't have the talent to do. That's what I would expect from a good coach.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 10:46:39 PM by obmtl »