• 10 replies

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
$Cum Post game thread!
« on: January 06, 2018, 09:12:37 PM »
This is very frustrating

LET IT RIP
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline obmtl

Re: $Cum Post game thread!
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2018, 09:47:06 PM »
we're halfway through the season. I'm seeing less progress than I had hoped. We have nobody that we can count on game in game out. We have moments, but can't put together 40 minutes. Mizzou was our best and even that second half was shaky. The themes are too many TOs, too many fouls, poor shooting, defensive breakdowns. It's not a problem with one or two guys. Everybody is up and down and we never know who will have their act together and who won't from game to game or even at any given moment.

It's not all a problem with young guys. Alstork is a 5th year Sr. Finke, Jordan, Black have been here 3 years, Lucas and Kipper in their second years. New system - yes, but at some point basketball is basketball regardless of the system. The fundamentals do not change. Apparently we don't grasp the fundamentals.

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2018, 10:30:05 PM »
15-16 win team as most of us thought. Need some pieces for next year, a big and a shooter
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 10:45:54 AM »
we're halfway through the season. I'm seeing less progress than I had hoped. We have nobody that we can count on game in game out. We have moments, but can't put together 40 minutes. Mizzou was our best and even that second half was shaky. The themes are too many TOs, too many fouls, poor shooting, defensive breakdowns. It's not a problem with one or two guys. Everybody is up and down and we never know who will have their act together and who won't from game to game or even at any given moment.

It's not all a problem with young guys. Alstork is a 5th year Sr. Finke, Jordan, Black have been here 3 years, Lucas and Kipper in their second years. New system - yes, but at some point basketball is basketball regardless of the system. The fundamentals do not change. Apparently we don't grasp the fundamentals.

I agree. And we hardly ever get the ball to a big on the block.

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 12:19:18 AM »
We need a highly mobile Big, not overmatched forwards like Leron and Finke.  We have no paint presence to speak of on defense.

Old outta shape Refs resent our defensive style ... makes them work to too hard. Fun to watch for us though  :ILLINI:

If local and nat'l talent continue to arrive, we will be fine going forward ... but this year the NIT is gonna be a reach

« Last Edit: January 08, 2018, 12:25:04 AM by Original Joe »

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 10:47:43 AM »
Black has been very consistent and is playing pretty much as well as he can for what he is being asked.   Everybody else who is an upperclassman is performing very poorly.  Finke is a huge disappointment because there is absolutely no reason that he isn't delivering 15 PPG and 8 boards. He simply misses too many shots.  Jordan is rushing his shot and is no help right now. Alstork plays hard defense but he also needs to be giving 15 PPG.   

Alstork, Finke and Jordan are the reason that we have so many losses. If these guys each hit 2 more buckets a game and 1 less turnover we would be undefeated or have maybe 1 loss. 

Kipper had a break out game and lets's hope it continues.

I know people are in love with Trent and I really like the kid but he makes as many if not more stupid plays than Lucas.  He is going to be very good but he has to learn how to play under better control.  Lucas is okay but has to stop the TO's, must take 2-3 jump shots a game to keep the defense honest and he has to hit free throws.  I can't begin to count how many front ends he has missed this year.

Mark Smith was finally clicking against UM but for whatever reason he doesn't understand what a foul is at this level.  His fouls are almost always with the body on the dribbling player he is guarding.

Monte had been very steady but he caught the stupid pass for a turnover bug that others have.

Greg E, AKA Spicy G has pleasantly surprised me the last two games. He has improved more than anyone since the beginning of the season.  His game is limited  but he is a rim protector who can make buckets in the paint and get some boards.  Somebody said they thought his only rebounds were when not boxed out well. Well that is kind of how the game works and he is getting better at that as well as other things.  He needs 25 minutes a game if he plays like he did against MU and those should come from Finke and Jordan if they can't deliver.

Are we making dumb mistakes and not maximizing our talent?  Yes. Am I disappointed with this team?  No I am not.  They have not been blown out in any game , with most being very competitive.  They are fun to watch even with the sloppy play which we know will improve. I think they are doing a good job understanding/learning how to execute Brad's system and they will get better at it. 

Mark my words, these guys will make a run in the B1G tourney or if they do go down early it will be with a hard fought effort.   This team is going to be good next year with everyone having a year under their belt in this system and then adding Ayo , hopefully Tevian Jones and  one of  Flo Thamba or Teeshan Cherry (he would be coup and give us our 2nd 2 star of the class) is going to help tremendously.

I am still very high on this team and am not going to be to harsh on them as a team because they are giving great effort and just have to clean up sloppy play.  The future is bright and we knew a tourney berth was going to be very hard to get, but keep in mind that a 13 win Okie State team the year prior to BU made the tourney after starting conference play 0-6.  I am not saying this team is going to be in the tourney as that is a long shot now, but I see similarities to past BU team performance and we are on the path.

Call me overly optimistic on this team and coach, but I am not in the sky is falling camp.     

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 05:50:46 PM »
Black has been very consistent and is playing pretty much as well as he can for what he is being asked.   Everybody else who is an upperclassman is performing very poorly.  Finke is a huge disappointment because there is absolutely no reason that he isn't delivering 15 PPG and 8 boards. He simply misses too many shots.  Jordan is rushing his shot and is no help right now. Alstork plays hard defense but he also needs to be giving 15 PPG.   

Alstork, Finke and Jordan are the reason that we have so many losses. If these guys each hit 2 more buckets a game and 1 less turnover we would be undefeated or have maybe 1 loss. 

Kipper had a break out game and lets's hope it continues.

I know people are in love with Trent and I really like the kid but he makes as many if not more stupid plays than Lucas.  He is going to be very good but he has to learn how to play under better control.  Lucas is okay but has to stop the TO's, must take 2-3 jump shots a game to keep the defense honest and he has to hit free throws.  I can't begin to count how many front ends he has missed this year.

Mark Smith was finally clicking against UM but for whatever reason he doesn't understand what a foul is at this level.  His fouls are almost always with the body on the dribbling player he is guarding.

Monte had been very steady but he caught the stupid pass for a turnover bug that others have.

Greg E, AKA Spicy G has pleasantly surprised me the last two games. He has improved more than anyone since the beginning of the season.  His game is limited  but he is a rim protector who can make buckets in the paint and get some boards.  Somebody said they thought his only rebounds were when not boxed out well. Well that is kind of how the game works and he is getting better at that as well as other things.  He needs 25 minutes a game if he plays like he did against MU and those should come from Finke and Jordan if they can't deliver.

Are we making dumb mistakes and not maximizing our talent?  Yes. Am I disappointed with this team?  No I am not.  They have not been blown out in any game , with most being very competitive.  They are fun to watch even with the sloppy play which we know will improve. I think they are doing a good job understanding/learning how to execute Brad's system and they will get better at it. 

Mark my words, these guys will make a run in the B1G tourney or if they do go down early it will be with a hard fought effort.   This team is going to be good next year with everyone having a year under their belt in this system and then adding Ayo , hopefully Tevian Jones and  one of  Flo Thamba or Teeshan Cherry (he would be coup and give us our 2nd 2 star of the class) is going to help tremendously.

I am still very high on this team and am not going to be to harsh on them as a team because they are giving great effort and just have to clean up sloppy play.  The future is bright and we knew a tourney berth was going to be very hard to get, but keep in mind that a 13 win Okie State team the year prior to BU made the tourney after starting conference play 0-6.  I am not saying this team is going to be in the tourney as that is a long shot now, but I see similarities to past BU team performance and we are on the path.

Call me overly optimistic on this team and coach, but I am not in the sky is falling camp.     

Iman I don't think anyone is in the sky is falling camp. I think the camp most are in is we don't have the talent yet, and we are 1-2 years away from being a factor, but we seem to have the right coach and system
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline obmtl

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 12:50:56 AM »
the sky may not be falling, but it certainly is sagging at this point in the year.

we have potential. Mizzou 1st half and Maryland 2nd half, e.g., show what we can be. but it seems all or nothing. we're hitting on all cylinders or we're leaking oil at every gasket. need to be able to keep things from spiraling out of control.

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »
the sky may not be falling, but it certainly is sagging at this point in the year.

we have potential. Mizzou 1st half and Maryland 2nd half, e.g., show what we can be. but it seems all or nothing. we're hitting on all cylinders or we're leaking oil at every gasket. need to be able to keep things from spiraling out of control.
I hear what you are saying but we are 1,000,000 better than the last several years and have been competitive in every game. If we were getting blown out and not coming back in games where we dig a hole I would be down, but we aren't. That being said, they have to clean up the sloppy play and make freaking shots.

IMO there isn't any chance of this season spiraling out of control because Underwood will kill somebody before that happens.  ;) Even with being very thin at the 4/5 the only thing keeping us from being undefeated to a 2 loss team is our inability to hit 3's and too many turnovers.

Philly, we shall have to agree to disagree because IMO there is a bit too much doom and gloom...and those feelings are perfectly fine to have. I am certainly not trying to say there is anything wrong with that feeling.  Just pointing out that I am seeing  more positives than negatives. Then again, maybe I am overly optimistic about the team and where the program is. 

IMO, we will compete for a B1G title next year. Not saying we SHOULD win it, but am saying we should expect to be a top 5 team in league.  We will round the recruiting class out with a quality big as well as a quality wing to go with Ayo. Additionally this year's players will be much improved next season after having a year of new & complex system under their belts.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:35:32 AM by illiniman94 »

Offline obmtl

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2018, 09:27:05 PM »
by spiraling out of control I meant somebody making a play to break up the runs our opponents make. Break up those 10 minute bad spells down to no more than a couple. this team seems to be able to collectively go into a funk at any moment. when we go bad we seem to go really bad. we just need somebody to step up to smooth out the rough spots and keep deficits in the low single digits instead of digging ourselves an 18-20 pt hole.