Terps post game thread!

• 29 replies

Offline illiniman94

Re: Terps post game thread!
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2017, 11:46:01 AM »
I think you make good points LW, but I guess when it comes to Mark Smith I have no doubt he will adjust to playing the 2 and in this offense he will be the 1 at times anyway.  Te Jon is playing hard and IMO only mad 3 or 4 really bad plays the last couple games.  Hummel was going off on not throwing that lob at the end but that is a hustle play and the right play.  He just put a tad too much juice on it and Kipper and Mark A did a terrible job both going to the same spot....even a great pass might have been "defended" by one of those two.  Missing the free throw was big but it happens......The team came back and the team lost it, IMO.

Anyway, the only reason I dont want to move Mark to the point is that we need to get Trent, Te Jon, Monte and Mark all big minutes and I think Trent and Te Jon will not be good 2 guards.  Monte is the most complete freshman we have and can play any freaking position on the floor.  Mark has that ability too and is also a very smart player.  The Mark and Monte show is going to be huge this year and hopefully at least 2 more.  The other reason I don't want to move Mark to the point is that he won't be playing it next year and needs to grow at the 2.

So I am not disagreeing with your diagnosis of Mark's problems because I think you analysis of why he isn't shining yet is right.  Just needs a little time and he will be there IMO.

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #21 on: December 04, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
I like having scoring off the bench. AJ is being rewarded for his hard work. We are getting like 30-35 off the bench or more. 

If I change anything I would put Mark at point and start Williams if you want to make a change.
Yeah, I am good with AJ coming off the bench. I just think we need to get him a few more looks and a few more minutes. I know Brad is also balancing getting as much as we can out of Alstork and growing the young players so I am absolutely not being critical of him.  These minor adjustments will be made by Brad and company so no worries.

I am going to say it again.  Nobody in the world can tell me that all of this great play from AJ is solely due to his hard work in the off season. I am taking nothing away from him there because from comments his Dad made when Brad was hired about Aaron going anywhere, really told me what character that kid has.  My point is that Groce obviously had a personal issue o rcomplete lack of ability to understand your players because Groce never really gave AJ a chance.  He would give him 1-2 minutes at a time and yank him so he never got into the flow. Sure we had malcolm who he was playing behind but the rest of our talent wasn't getting it so give AJ time over somebody else and move Malcolm to one of the other 4 spots on the floor that he played all freaking season.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #22 on: December 04, 2017, 12:00:33 PM »
Okay, so what did the refs **** up this time to screw us? 

called foul on a block with 0 on the clock to give Terps the game with free throws...replay showed it was clearly all ball...it was a great defensive play they screwed up as usual, handed the wrong team the game

I just come to expect calls like this now...when it happened I just changed the channel
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #23 on: December 04, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »

called foul on a block with 0 on the clock to give Terps the game with free throws...replay showed it was clearly all ball...it was a great defensive play they screwed up as usual, handed the wrong team the game

I just come to expect calls like this now...when it happened I just changed the channel
I couldn't watch the OT after seeing how well they came back in second half, but damn. I am still not going to watch other than maybe that play.

Offline bwbp3

« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 12:42:30 PM »
Has to be the first time a team has scored on every possession in OT and lost.

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 01:33:46 PM »

I have to disagree.
In the first place, we benefited from the refs not calling the foul at the end of regulation when their guard clearly was mugged taking a last shot.  I mean, it was just a brutal non-call.  If I was a Terps fan I'd have freaked out.

Secondly, and although it was a bit ticky-tac, there was definitely a body foul on that last shot in OT.  We fouled the guy.  YES the hand was all ball but he hip checked him in the air, and you can't do that.  It's a foul.

Can't blame the refs at all on this loss.  We had multiple opportunities to win, and the refs were equally bad on both sides.

imo
"Here's what I was trying to say, but you were listening wrong."  -  My wife to me, recently

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2017, 01:38:53 PM »
yeah it was a body foul, agreed refs sucked overall yesterday but we got calls too. Against Wake, we were hosed, this game, no, we lost by not starting or finishing particularly well

On to the next game!
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline QCPost33

• Old UI Hippie Engineer
  • Baseball Sucks
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2017, 01:39:20 PM »
This team played hard after the first 5 minutes. Much more exciting this year. Heck of a comeback, but they need to learn to finish. They still need another big body for these types of teams for defense. Maryland had size. I hope they learn from these last 3 games what they need to do in tight games.
Still crazy

Offline Hawk

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2017, 05:11:18 PM »

I have to disagree.
In the first place, we benefited from the refs not calling the foul at the end of regulation when their guard clearly was mugged taking a last shot.  I mean, it was just a brutal non-call.  If I was a Terps fan I'd have freaked out.

Secondly, and although it was a bit ticky-tac, there was definitely a body foul on that last shot in OT.  We fouled the guy.  YES the hand was all ball but he hip checked him in the air, and you can't do that.  It's a foul.

Can't blame the refs at all on this loss.  We had multiple opportunities to win, and the refs were equally bad on both sides.

imo

sorry but i disagree, i played it back 3 times before they did, he reached back, had his hand on the ball, and then made contact, the contact was after the block and was insignificant, it wasn't even serious contact. i've seen guys get run over worse then that with no calls

the fact they didnt make an earlier call just reinforces the fact they were terrible, and most NCAA crews are terrible these days, just how it is, they get these guys off the street apparently and have them work 7 games a week. its been discussed by NCAA coaches in the open. Most often then not officials ruin good NCAA games these days, just calling it like I see it
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2017, 05:12:54 PM »
yeah it was a body foul

if THATS a body foul then you can call that on every play around the basket Phil!

his hand was on the ball first anyway, isnt the whistle supposed to be blown at that point for a jump ball