Hawk was right about the Hawks

• 8 replies

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
Hawk was right about the Hawks
« on: November 11, 2017, 09:25:38 PM »
All these moves made the last two years have really destroyed any chance this team has, probably miss the playoffs, just a  tough watch right now.

Time to start unloading soon I think, and start over?
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline Hawk

Re: Hawk was right about the Hawks
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2017, 12:32:11 PM »
Good luck unloading. the guys you ultimately would like to unload have full NMC clauses, they've over paid in dollars and in years and its biting them in the ass. Hawks have had to settle for a lot of younger guys with little experience, or older journeymen players the last few years to fill spots because they are salary strapped to like 6 guys that are now getting older or have too many miles on the body.

Toews deal is terrible unless the cap keeps going up, he does not give you enough offense on his own to be making the same money as Kane, Crosby, Malkin, Ovechkin. He simply cant carry a line offensively on his own
Think about that one for another second...Toews makes more per year than Crosby and Ovechkin.. thats insane to me, and i'm the biggest Toews fan, the guys a great leader but thats alone is not worth an extra 4 Mil per year. He should be making Patrice Bergeron money, almost identical players, both captains on their teams too.

Ultimately this season this team needs another top defensman, it needs another quality center...and YESTERDAY!  and that's just the immediate issues. not sure if either of those can get addressed this year either.

If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »
BOO! Hawks are going to be good this year. And they have 4M cap room for a big trade.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2017, 12:46:15 PM »
BOO! Hawks are going to be good this year. And they have 4M cap room for a big trade.

Hope so, but they are .500 at almost 1/4 of the season already. with the 3rd worst goals against in the division

im not sure when Bowman plans to use that extra money, but its needed NOW, not 2 months from now. So he needs to get on the phone and make something happen. They gave up 7 the other night, its been a while since the last time I can remember a Hawks team giving up 7 goals
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2018, 01:40:38 PM »
Hartman gone...to Nashville...so now the Hawks trade good young talent to division rivals I guess?

What good are draft picks and players that usually take 3-4 years to develop unless you are going full rebuild? and how are you gonna full rebuild with the contracts that have been handed out the last several years? LOL

Somebody fire Bowman before he ****s this team up anymore than he already has the last 3 years  smh.....

I mean unless they are going to be able to offload one or 2 of those monstrous deals, but I dont see that happening..they are not trading Kane or Toews, and who is gonna take Seabrooks deal?
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 01:44:08 PM by Hawk »

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2018, 03:41:55 PM »
You win 3 Cups, and the salary cap kills you. Bettman needs to go, not Bowman. And how do you measure the loss of Crawford? Youwin multiple championships in any sport and you have to reward those who got you there. That's the flaw in the hard cap.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2018, 05:35:08 PM »
You win 3 Cups, and the salary cap kills you. Bettman needs to go, not Bowman. And how do you measure the loss of Crawford? Youwin multiple championships in any sport and you have to reward those who got you there. That's the flaw in the hard cap.

The salary cap didnt kill them though, Bowmans contracts and not anticipating that cap did.

Seabrook didnt have to be resigned at that price, they should have parted ways after 2015 and started to rebuild the defense. You cant reward everybody in a hard cap system, Kane and Toews, maybe Keith, outside of those 3 no way. Seabrook making more than Keith is THE joke beyond jokes.

Crawford is not Carey Price though, he's ok but he's not a vezina trophy candidate year after year.  him not getting injured would not have resulted in them making the playoffs this year, they were terrible every which way around. His contract is also ridiculous, his success is largely due to the team that was placed in front of him most of his career up until the last few years

From Cup winner to non playoff contender in just 3 years, there's no defending that cap or no cap. He's done a terrible job piecing this team together and building for future success. the defense is in shambles and will take YEARS to rebuild with the resources available.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 12:15:24 PM »
yeah so..I know not many people but me pay attention to this stuff. but ill just say the more other teams sign their top players the more its looking like we got ripped off and Bowman doesn't know what he's doing

the Lightning just signed Nikita Kucherov to an 8 year extension at an average of 9.5 Mil a year...for those paying attention thats a full Mil a year UNDER what Toews is getting paid. Guy is coming off his 1st 100 point season, and has averaged 80 points the last 4 seasons

Wanna know what Toews averaged the 4 seasons before his 10.5 Mil a year extension...60! wanna know what hes averaged since...58! that's virtually no change over the last 7 seasons. Outside of being the captain of this team why in Gods name did they pay him Kane money? I wonder how Kane feels knowing hes averaged 90 the last 3 seasons and is getting the same dollar his fellow teammate is who's averaging 58...

You could say an extra Mil is for 3 cups,  but thats paying for past performance in a hard cap league, you cant do that. You might get away doing that for one guy, but they paid too many guys on past performance. I'm a big Toews fan still because I know what he is and appreciated that, but its just not almost 11 Mil a year value, Hes Patrice Bergeron value, 8 Mil a year range. This is more of continued indictment on Bowman. Other teams are making smarter better moves with their own personnel, and its allowed them to leap frog this franchise exponentially.

I expect much of the same results we saw last season from this team once again. they've made little upgrades on the back end...drafted 2 guys in 1st round on defense that look like decent prospects, but they wont be ready for a while. This might be the thinnest team in the NHL at center. There's nobody but Toews that has a decent face off percentage on the roster, line depth and production will once again be in question this year and defense is going to be yet another question mark as Seabs and Keith are another year older. Crawford even if he plays the full season is not going to be that big of a factor to vault this team several spots in the standings.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 12:38:48 PM »
I expect much of the same results we saw last season from this team once again. they've made little upgrades on the back end...drafted 2 guys in 1st round on defense that look like decent prospects, but they wont be ready for a while. This might be the thinnest team in the NHL at center. There's nobody but Toews that has a decent face off percentage on the roster, line depth and production will once again be in question this year and defense is going to be yet another question mark as Seabs and Keith are another year older. Crawford even if he plays the full season is not going to be that big of a factor to vault this team several spots in the standings.

why in the world are they not going after Antoine Vermette??..they have about 4 mil in cap space. guy is unsigned still, not a big production guy but is solid defensively and wins faceoffs like nobody's business (60%) could probably easily get him on a 2 year deal for a couple Mil a year