UI student government group renewing push to find mascot

• 16 replies

Offline Beast

• In the distance you hear the call
Vision without action is a daydream.  Action without vision is a nightmare.

Offline Hawk

Re: UI student government group renewing push to find mascot
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 04:24:18 PM »
why do we need a mascot? we never had one before

Chief was never a mascot, this seems like a way of trying to justify getting rid of him as a "mascot", when he really was never one in the first place. Adopting a "new" mascot as a replacement is kind of like a way of making all Chief supporters look bad by claiming they supported the use of a "racist mascot", when he never was one   
« Last Edit: November 02, 2017, 04:41:46 PM by Hawk »
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 04:30:55 PM »
This continued push for a mascot seems like nothing more than a way to try and push an entirely  new sports program name. I could be wrong, but things certainly seems to be moving in that direction and if that ever happens ill be done. goodbye I-N, goodbye me. I wouldn't support an administration that would sell out its history.
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2017, 06:37:05 PM »
Meh, sometimes we need a turn from history. IMO, this isn't one of those cases, but it wouldn't really matter to me. I do agree that we don't need a mascot.

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2017, 07:19:41 PM »
have some dude walk around as a big block orange I and show off all the championships we are going to be winning, and I'm good!
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2017, 09:57:39 PM »
have some dude walk around as a big block orange I and show off all the championships we are going to be winning, and I'm good!

I  I  I  I  I will do it!!! I  I  I  I
To succeed in life, it ain't about how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward, and that blaming others won't help.  -  Rocky Balboa

First base is nowhere.  - Lou Brock

Yogi Berra said it ain't over til it's over.  I say it ain't over til I win!

Offline NTACF

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 09:58:13 PM »
I just can?t see this ending in a way that I?ll be proud of

Offline Hawk

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2017, 04:01:26 PM »
Meh, sometimes we need a turn from history. IMO, this isn't one of those cases, but it wouldn't really matter to me. I do agree that we don't need a mascot.

It wouldn't move you one bit if they changed the sports program name to something generic like - the Illinois orange? Illinois Coyotes or Woodchucks(lol) or just something goofy like that?

it would for me and that's what i'm afraid of here that's going to eventually happen. I agree sometimes change is needed especially in cases we should be ashamed of or matter of injustice. IMO there is nothing for this university to be ashamed of though. Its not like they've been peddling caricatures of Indians, or mocking native american culture.

The Counsel of Chiefs actually did quite the opposite, everything from the dance to the uniform was patterned after actual native american garb and dance. They went above and beyond more so then another school down in Florida did, all they did was pay people off so they could do whatever they wanted yet nobody labels them hostile and abusive, or claims they are being racist. Where are the demonstrations on FSU campus for mocking native american culture.

If anything this school honors what is a now an extinct tribe and carries their name forward so people never forget it     

Offline UEACES80

« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2017, 02:36:50 PM »
Well said Hawk!
The Chief will live forever in the hearts of all Illini fans!

Offline obmtl

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2017, 07:54:11 PM »
We don't need a mascot. I don't want a mascot. But the origin of the term 'Illini' and what the reference to 'Fighting Illini' means or has meant is not entirely clear, or at least there is not just a single possible interpretation or use of the terms. I have no intent or desire to start a grand debate - just pointing out that there is some uncertainty in the matter.

http://myaamiacenter.org/MCResources/costa_biblio/illinois_name_origins.pdf
https://archives.library.illinois.edu/features/illini.php