Where do we stand?

• 49 replies

Online ctibass

Re: Where do we stand?
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 10:17:17 PM »
making the playoffs and having a shot at winning are two different things. I think the 5 of us here (If Reaper plays PG) can probably make the NBA playoffs. Winning it all they are ages away IMO
Just a warning, I'm a very high volume shooter who will end up with NO assist. I took the same gunners oathe that Alfredrick Hughes did.  ;)
IDKWTI part 3?

Shoot, I'll play next to you in the backcourt and we'll just fight the whole time over why the other took the shot lol

Offline joker2305

« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2017, 10:58:43 PM »
The Bulls are in a terrible position moving forward, maybe more than any other team in the league, they simply have zero assets save Jimmy on this team. running a .500 record means their pick probably wont be very impacting, they are basically in basketball hell.

the GM and president don't seem to have any clue what direction they want to take this team, they are far from a "retooling" the word Forman used about a dozen times the other day in an interview. They HAVE to rebuild, but management wont make a full commitment to that, I dont see any young players on this roster that are going to be great starters, one could surprise but I dont see it. they have some role players but thats about it. No top free agents are coming here, they werent before and they definitely are not now after this years fiasco with Wade and Rondo. Wade must wake up every morning asking himself "WTF was I thinking" lol.

i just don't think things are as bad as your describing them. in the last 12 years, the bulls have made the playoffs 10 times, getting to the semis three times and the EC finals once. i'll take that kind of competitiveness... does it suck we don't have LeBron james? yes. does it mean we should tank because we don't have him? i don't think so. since Jordan, the championship has almost always been won with a team that had at least one, once in a generation type talent. Duncan, kobe, shaq, LeBron. i think the only exceptions being the mavs or the Celtics (assuming you don't consider dirk or garnett once in a generation type talents). currently, we don't have one of these players, but i still think we should try to compete. let's see what happens this postseason, then offseason. if we flame out in the first round, then don't make any moves this offseason, we're clearly not heading in the right direction. for now, i'm excited to see how existing players perform with increased roles from the Gibson/ McDermott trade. also, will be watching to evaluate payne and the other guys we got in the trade, to see what kind of players we got.

theres only 2 ways to get better

-Draft really well ( which usually involves higher picks) and develop talent
-Sign top free agents

Bulls and this current management do neither well

what was the point of trading all those picks for McDermott and then give up on him in 2 years? so either they are admitting he's a bust, or couldn't develop him, or made a huge mistake. This is the same management that traded Lamarcus Aldrige for Tyrus Thomas.

they have some decent picks, Noah (who was a high pick 9th overall) Taj and Jimmy. Other than that what does this team have to show for almost 10 years of drafts? They fell into Rose, any team with the #1 was taking him. They should have moved on from him 2 years ago but didn't , that's also another management blunder.

They seemingly cant sell the team to premium free agents over the last 7 years. When the team was healthy and could have made the next step to contention these guys didn't get it done, and i'm not just talking about the 2010 FA year of James, Wade and Bosh, even after that they really needed a decent scoring wing player, they refused to move some pieces to land a few guys that were out there, and that teams lack of scoring options hurt the team. That could have really helped against Miami that year.  Then Rose got hurt and its all she wrote from there. Nothing in guaranteed, instead of worrying about the future they should have went all in 2010 when Miami was the most vulnerable in their first year together

There is zero faith out there in this teams management, and I think that's not just the fans echoing that anymore

theres 5 PG's on this roster now, what are they doing exactly?  I dont think they even know

they must have either given up on dougie or just decided to go in a different direction. its true they traded two picks for him, but they also got a top 15 pick in cam payne in return. i'm not a scout or gm, but i think we can agree its too early to tell what kind of players either of them will become. that being said, playmaking point guards seem to be in higher demand than wings. fair point on their drafting abilities. i do still hold out hope for players like niko, felicio, and portis. but, it's true, they haven't had many of their picks turn into impact players. you referenced 2010 being a huge year as far as really competing for a championship. i think this offseason/ next year is similar. we either need to add a big piece (somehow) or we need to break it up, starting with trading butler. i guess, at the end of the day, if you added a superstar to this bulls team, i think we'd be competing for a championship. while i don't see that happening this offseason, we could get potentially get an impact player by FA (ibaka?)  or trade. who knows, maybe a role player takes the next step, and all of a sudden we're a 2 or 3 seed next year. obviously, that's 2 big "ifs," but i think we're close enough that we have to try. if we can't land a big FA this offseason, then trade jimmy and blow it up. maybe we can compete again in 3-5 years
"I see pride! I see power! I see a badass mudda, who don't take no shit off of nobody!"

Offline joker2305

« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
i'm really wishing we would have traded butler to boston right about now. I still have hope we can make a splash this offseason though. we shall see...
"I see pride! I see power! I see a badass mudda, who don't take no shit off of nobody!"

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2017, 03:07:50 PM »
I already knew this before they embarrassed themselves on national TV yesterday but the Bulls are a complete mess. It's obvious that they are tanking with the rotations that Hoiberg have been throwing out there in recent weeks. Even the players are wondering WTF is going on.
* Payne is not the PG of the future
* Between Rose, Gibson and Dougie Mac the Bulls didn't get even a decent draft pick.
* The rotations are all screwed up and inconsistent

My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »
Wade out for the year, tank for a better lottery pick now lol
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2017, 10:33:45 AM »
Bulls send Payne to the D-league ............................ they basically gave Taj and Doug away.
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline Hawk

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2017, 05:33:45 PM »
Bulls send Payne to the D-league ............................ they basically gave Taj and Doug away.

what a deal!!  :nonono:
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline bwbp3

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2017, 05:45:27 PM »

what a deal!!  :nonono:
Still don't get why the Bulls were the ones given away that draft pick...taj and doug for payne and a 2nd is at least remotely an opportunity to build young depth. But taj doug and a 2nd for Payne had them losing all ends of the deal besides a salary dump i suppose.

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2017, 09:13:14 PM »
Because GarPax is a bad joke.

Offline joker2305

« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2017, 03:29:18 PM »
I've never gone back and forth on a team as much as this year's bulls team. I know that even the good games (win over Cleveland the other day) are fools gold, as we're not a serious contender to win the title. btw, the bulls are 4-0 against Cleveland this year. I know its just regular season, but the cavs needed that win, they were definitely trying. at some point, this kind of regular season success against a team has to count for something. as of right now, with 5 games left, we're 2 games behind the 5th seed. we've won 4 in a row and 5 out of 6. they've been playing their best ball since wade got injured. rondo's been the pg garpax was hoping for when they signed him. Niko's been playing like he did his rookie year when he finished second in ROY voting. portis might actually be a good stretch 4, hitting 3s consistently now. he's still not great defensively, but he is quick. with that size and speed, hopefully its only a matter of time before he figures it out. I still think we're only one star away from being a contender, and am curious to see what we can do this offseason. i'd rather be competing for, and in, the playoffs this time of year, even if we don't have a legit shot at winning it all. blowing it up and tanking, to hopefully be a contender one day is dangerous. boston's done an amazing job with this, but got pretty lucky on the way. philly hasn't finished higher than the 6 seed since the '03-'04 season. And have been particularly awful for the last 5 years, when they've been openly tanking. blake griffin's a free agent this year. not that I necessarily like his game, or would like to see HIM on the bulls... but if we could somehow land a player of his caliber, I think that would make us a legit contender next year.