Re: John Groce future
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2016, 05:35:21 PM »
We need fb like, like buttons.   (:

Offline Hawk

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2016, 05:48:23 PM »

im not messing with any coding anymore...likes are what the FB page is for lol
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2016, 05:55:57 PM »

I didnt mean JG would get us there in 3-4 years, just we are due!
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2016, 06:19:18 PM »
Our programs are very meh right now, which is probably why many were shocked Cubit got the extension, and will probably feel the same if Groce is back next year.  Which I think he will be.  If records determined coaching then Groce is gone after year 2 and so is Timmy.   

Look at it from a standpoint for guys like Nunn and Hill and Tate as well.  Gonna suck balls to get your basically your third coach in 4 years, so you let Groce round this class out and see how it plays out with a true PG next year. 

But who knows.....pure speculation and opinions, but I guess that is what this is for.....

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 06:24:24 PM »
Our programs are very meh right now, which is probably why many were shocked Cubit got the extension, and will probably feel the same if Groce is back next year.  Which I think he will be.  If records determined coaching then Groce is gone after year 2 and so is Timmy.   

Look at it from a standpoint for guys like Nunn and Hill and Tate as well.  Gonna suck balls to get your basically your third coach in 4 years, so you let Groce round this class out and see how it plays out with a true PG next year. 

But who knows.....pure speculation and opinions, but I guess that is what this is for.....

agreed, and I think at least a good solid recruiting class makes that far more acceptable.

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2016, 06:33:12 PM »
Regarding buy outs, we have alum who will pay for it so to me that is a non issue.

yah, you sure bout that? ......you writing a check?  ;)  Yes for my total net worth......so  $6.  :icon_biggrin:

if so and you are right for the sake of argument, then its funny to me that we would have alum that will pay the massive salaries for all the coaches we fire early, yet where are they when we need facility upgrades and other amenities that other big time programs have? Our donors did pony up big time for the new paint of coat for the Hall...I refuse to say the other name

ill say this, some of them are real good at calling us a racist institution on twitter and radio shows though and chasing recruits away...

yeah so, forgive me if I don't quite buy the "the alum will fix it all" scenario there...
I understand where you are coming from but Kenny Battle and Stephen Bardo aren't the donors I am talking about....it is the big time business guys who have made hundreds of millions from their businesses.   

Where were these big businessmen 4 years ago?  Why do you think they will come out of the woodwork this time?

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2016, 06:35:07 PM »
This is ^^^^^^ exactly right. I'll believe the big donors when I see it

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2016, 06:38:49 PM »

agreed, and I think at least a good solid recruiting class makes that far more acceptable.

I try to look for comparisons as well.  And Mick Cronin is John Groce.......Cronin kills it at Murray State and gets the Cinncy job after an ugly ouster of Huggins at Cinncy.  4 years of Crap and now he has averaged 25+ the last 6....I am not a rocket scientist, but this sounds quite familiar to what is going on in chambana right now.  Obviously, can't see the future about John Groce, but also can't help to think about how strong a move it was by Cinncy's admin to stick with the guy.   

Not even going to mention who hired him...that will just piss a whole bunch of people off.   :)   

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2016, 06:40:51 PM »

I try to look for comparisons as well.  And Mick Cronin is John Groce.......Cronin kills it at Murray State and gets the Cinncy job after an ugly ouster of Huggins at Cinncy.  4 years of Crap and now he has averaged 25+ the last 6....I am not a rocket scientist, but this sounds quite familiar to what is going on in chambana right now.  Obviously, can't see the future about John Groce, but also can't help to think about how strong a move it was by Cinncy's admin to stick with the guy.   

Not even going to mention who hired him...that will just piss a whole bunch of people off.   :)   

right but he has to get some recruits and class balance to even have a prayer of staying past next year, so in my opinion he needs to hit homers this year, as far as recruits, and he may stick.

Offline player25

• You play to win the game!
  • Where's Efrem, I'll throw him an alley-oop!
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2016, 11:52:06 PM »
I like and support Coach Groce and staff.  Hasn't been the best ride so far, but the ride always has effort and a plan that is prepared.  Not having this that, excuse, injury, etc, and this coaching staff doesn't complain or give excuses.  The coaching staff rallies the team and they all get after it.  I really like the men's basketball program for the UofI and the direction. 

2017 class - Pickett, Williams, and Tillmon.