Web site hosting services?

• 2 replies

Offline MrGuy

Web site hosting services?
« on: December 04, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »
Hello,

I am working on getting a website setup for an organization I work with and am looking around for hosting services. I was wondering if people had recommendations.

The person we hired to make the website recently started their own hosting service for $70/month. That doesn't include domain name registration. Other avenues we are looking at include hostgator.com which is currently running a promotion of $162/3 years (54/year). The web designer said that plan has very little security and said we would want the 248/3 years (82/year).

I think I may use the web designer that way if we need help, she is on call 24/7. She doesn't have a lot of webpages (maybe like 5?) so she should be able to get to things quickly. The webpage we are hosting is pretty simple one, just mainly information. Does have a "blog" format so people can post things.

I know hawk has had a lot of problems with whoever hosts this page so thought this maybe a good place to come and ask for advice. Thanks.

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
Re: Web site hosting services?
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 12:21:52 PM »
I only do corporate related stuff on my end which costs big bucks, the guy we use is a few grand. Good luck, I know its a pain in the butt
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline Hawk

Re: Web site hosting services?
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2014, 03:12:04 PM »
Hello,

I am working on getting a website setup for an organization I work with and am looking around for hosting services. I was wondering if people had recommendations.

The person we hired to make the website recently started their own hosting service for $70/month. That doesn't include domain name registration. Other avenues we are looking at include hostgator.com which is currently running a promotion of $162/3 years (54/year). The web designer said that plan has very little security and said we would want the 248/3 years (82/year).

I think I may use the web designer that way if we need help, she is on call 24/7. She doesn't have a lot of webpages (maybe like 5?) so she should be able to get to things quickly. The webpage we are hosting is pretty simple one, just mainly information. Does have a "blog" format so people can post things.

I know hawk has had a lot of problems with whoever hosts this page so thought this maybe a good place to come and ask for advice. Thanks.

are you just looking for a host, or for somebody to design the site also?

We actually have not had too many hosting issues since I purchased the dedicated IP for the site about a year ago. a lot of the issues we have had in the last year derived from hackers, but that got ironed out as well with some security fixes.

Hostmonster has some great prices, around 5-7 bucks a month I think. I like the Cpanel set up, its very user friendly IMO. They all have their pros and cons really I suppose, nobody is going to be 100% reliable with up time or anything.  Usually database storage can be a huge issue with some people and hosting companies. some only allow you so much and if you violate your limit they can lock your site up or fine you among other horror stories i've heard from others. you will want to make sure the package you get can host the site you need. I've never really had to deal with that aspect though because this is just a message board and most of the database files are fairly small
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain