John Groce

• 778 replies

John Groce
« on: March 21, 2012, 09:16:13 PM »
Would be a great option at this point, better than others being mentioned in my opinion.  First of all, he can coach: team in the Sweet 16, two Tourny appearances last 3 years at basketball powerhouse Ohio U.  He can recruit: lead recruiter at Ohio State for Oden, Conley, Cook, Koufos. He can recruit Chicago: D.J. Cooper - Meanstreets/Seton H.S.  We would have say so over assistants: allow him to bring one, but has to retain Jerrance and hire one of the following - (1) Deon Thomas, (2) Roger Powell, or (3) Robert Smith. 

http://www.ohiobobcats.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/groce_john00.html

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
Re: John Groce
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2012, 09:19:01 PM »
There is a post about him down the board a bit, but I'll leave this one and shut that one off

I like Groce, the more I read about him I like him, but I still like a few other guys more

I wouldnt shoot myself if he were hired like many would  :icon_biggrin:
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline BYS

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2012, 09:29:39 PM »
No matter who we get now someone will be whining that MT didn't bring the sizzle and pop. Even though the guy might be an excellent coach.
I ain't askin for nuthin, if I can't get it on my own. If ya don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long haired country boy alone.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.  -Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry

Offline QCPost33

• Old UI Hippie Engineer
  • Baseball Sucks
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2012, 09:34:50 PM »
Whoever we get, I hope he can recruit, coach, and bring in a good staff.
Still crazy

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 07:41:52 AM »
More on Groce from a recent Tupper article:

John Groce, Ohio
With almost no name recognition going into the NCAA Tournament, hiring Groce would almost certainly bring a cry of ?John Who??
That wouldn?t stop AD Mike Thomas, who said fans at Cincinnati said, ?Brian Who?? when he hired Brian Kelly as the school?s head football coach and at Illinois just months ago when he hired Tim Beckman to replace Ron Zook.
Thomas prides himself on finding up-and-coming head coaches and Groce is definitely an up-and-comer now he has led the Ohio University Bobcats to the Sweet 16 with victories over Michigan and South Florida. If Ohio can bump off No. 1-seed North Carolina on Friday, Groce?s name recognition may no longer be an issue.
Groce is an intriguing guy. He?s a 40-year-old Danville, Ind., native who is a prot?g? of Ohio State head coach Thad Matta.
Groce was an assistant coach for Matta at Butler, Xavier and then at Ohio State and it looks like he has learned plenty about coaching and recruiting. While at Ohio State in 2006, Rivals.com named him its choice as college basketball ?recruiter of the year.?
He preaches an aggressive offensive style and his Ohio team led the Mid-America Conference in scoring in 2010-11.
In last season?s NCAA Tournament, the 13th-seeded Bobcats knocked off No. 4 seed Georgetown, 97-83.
Groce?s top player this season was recruited out of Chicago. Guard D.J. Cooper is from Seton Academy and scored 21 points in the opening-round NCAA Tournament victory against Michigan.

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 08:51:06 AM »
Well he is young and recruited a player from Chi-town. Those are good things and if he does interview and MT likes him I will be definitely be on board with him.

Hopefully he didn't grow up (in Indiana) hating the Illini and act interested to force Ohio into a large raise and then stiff us after a courtship.

Bottomline is the paranoia is so much more these days than it was 25 years ago when guys read the sports page and maybe got to briefly talk at the water cooler or at lunch. The analysis is now 24/7 from fans because of social media -  not saying I don't like it but 25 years ago we would not all be able to lament and dwell on these topics.

Here's hoping MT gets us the right guy,
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 12:11:38 PM by UEACES80 »
The Chief will live forever in the hearts of all Illini fans!

Offline EasyESmall

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2012, 09:16:36 AM »
aggressive offensive style

Three words that are music to my ears.

UEACES... totally agree with the comment of social media, internet 24/7 thing.

Spin us back to say, 1989, the days prior to everyone having a hand held cell phone, the days really before anyone had real internet, you'd read about the coaching search maybe once, twice a week in the paper, assuming you lived in the state of Illinois or the St Louis area, and that's about it, then you'd wake up one morning and read they hired some guy and you'd say "Who?"  Oh... I hope he's good.

It's way different now.  This job search is really not unusually long, but for the 24/7 crowd, it must seem to be excruciatingly painful.
Building My Post Count - One Stupid Comment At A Time.

I'm Super Elite, God Dammit!!!!  How come that doesn't get me a raise at my job?

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2012, 09:30:38 AM »
I can get way more excited about Groce than I can about Collins, Grant, or yes... Buzz.     IMO, we either get a big name coach, or we find a young and hungry coach.   I have no desire to see another milktoast mid major coach come to Illinois.  If we go midmajor, let's get a guy who spits fire.   

Groce has a great pedigree of success at three different programs learning under a successful head coach.  He's been to a NC game, and missed what, maybe ONE  NCAA tournament since then?   Now, he's taken Ohio to the S16.   What more could we want?    The fact is, there really are NO big name coaches out there that really make one sit up and take notice.   I would argue that hiring a young up and comer would actually be a better move for Illinois.  JMO.
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.  2 Chronicles 7:14

Offline EasyESmall

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2012, 09:32:46 AM »
Flyin, you don't want Tark the Shark?  I was really hoping he gets out of the hospital today!!!
Building My Post Count - One Stupid Comment At A Time.

I'm Super Elite, God Dammit!!!!  How come that doesn't get me a raise at my job?

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2012, 09:33:51 AM »
Flyin, you don't want Tark the Shark?  I was really hoping he gets out of the hospital today!!!

Does he still suck on towels?   If so, then.... YES!!   :icon_biggrin:
If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.  2 Chronicles 7:14