Shaka Smart

• 535 replies

Offline bwbp3

Re: Shaka Smart
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 01:33:54 AM »
Not sure which thread would be best for this but...

Just read that if Shaka leaves VCU, his new team is forced to play a home and home with them through a clause in his contract.  I love VCU's "we'll play anyone, anywhere" mindset.

Offline me4871

• Capt. Obvious and college BB expert
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 01:36:10 AM »
I am good with that.  Where do I sign?

Offline Drama

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 02:06:17 AM »
The more this drags out the more I feel like we are all getting our hopes up!  It is starting to become a possible meltdown situation when we get blind sided by a ? hire. 

I pray we get him at any cost!  It's been said that it would be around 2.5 mil per year.  I don't think it could go much higher for UI to pay a guy that has only been a head coach for 3 years.  It would be shocking to to see UI pay that much but they better make sure it happens or Thomas will have to live out of town during his short time at UI ;)
On paper, I can always convince myself that the talent is there to contend among college basketball's elite, even if it's obviously foolish to expect it.

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 11:03:11 AM »
The more this drags out the more I feel like we are all getting our hopes up!  It is starting to become a possible meltdown situation when we get blind sided by a ? hire. 

I pray we get him at any cost!  It's been said that it would be around 2.5 mil per year.  I don't think it could go much higher for UI to pay a guy that has only been a head coach for 3 years.  It would be shocking to to see UI pay that much but they better make sure it happens or Thomas will have to live out of town during his short time at UI ;)

:ROTFL1:

drama, I am still fine with a solid hire if it isnt Smart

If Smart stays at VCU, and you offer him $$$, nothing else you can do. Hire the next guy. I still like 4-5 other guys who have more experience or similar results (like Stevens)
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline Hawk

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:33:47 AM »

I was thinking the same thing....just for the fact that we will have targeted a guy, and not gotten them....I think a portion of the fan base will look at it like we had to settle for somebody else, much of the same way some viewed Weber as a guy we "settled on".

I don't know whats gonna happen, I hope we get him, love the way that team plays, plus have to imagine he could probably land even better players too once at a bigger program like Illinois, so sky looks to be the limit with him

would be nice if we could talk to him right now  :icon_biggrin:
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2012, 11:42:14 AM »
Great coach. Wonder if he would implement the same system. Kind of gimmicky, but it could work with the right athletes.
honestly I haven't paid much attention to the system they run, but I keep hearing "gimmicky" & "will it work here" thrown about.    I am not being facetious, but what makes his system gimmicky?

I for one thing basketball has changed and since most teams don't have a ML type offenses now feature more 6'7 to 6'8 guys and guards who get after it more.  Is that what people are calling gimmicky?    Maybe he runs that style with his players and if he had different players would play different?

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2012, 11:44:57 AM »

:ROTFL1:

drama, I am still fine with a solid hire if it isnt Smart

If Smart stays at VCU, and you offer him $$$, nothing else you can do. Hire the next guy. I still like 4-5 other guys who have more experience or similar results (like Stevens)
Stevens is not coming and I don't think he would work at Illinois...don't see him as a great recruiter, at least he hasn't shown he can recruit yet.....great coach of the game, though  I could be wrong, but he didn't recruit any of the guys that made his run (not a knock just an observation).

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2012, 11:47:07 AM »

I was thinking the same thing....just for the fact that we will have targeted a guy, and not gotten them....I think a portion of the fan base will look at it like we had to settle for somebody else, much of the same way some viewed Weber as a guy we "settled on".

I don't know whats gonna happen, I hope we get him, love the way that team plays, plus have to imagine he could probably land even better players too once at a bigger program like Illinois, so sky looks to be the limit with him

and I know I am beating a dead horse, but this is why I think Thomas made the BW firing too early....that timing was a bad move on his part, IMO.  I think nothing can but disappointment can happen when it is public you want a guy and it drags on....radio and espn start talking and creates all kinds of issues and pressure on all parties.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2012, 11:48:26 AM »

and I know I am beating a dead horse, but this is why I think Thomas made the BW firing too early....that timing was a bad move on his part, IMO.  I think nothing can but disappointment can happen when it is public you want a guy and it drags on....radio and espn start talking and creates all kinds of issues and pressure on all parties.

but Thomas has not publicly said he wants any particular person, is just speculation by fans like us so far
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2012, 11:50:04 AM »

but Thomas has not publicly said he wants any particular person, is just speculation by fans like us so far
true, but at least if he hadn't pulled the trigger we would be wasting our energy arguing why he hasn't fired Weber.

and how DARE YOU get in the way of my loathing of Mike Thomas! :tounge: :icon_biggrin: