Lewis Jackson Visiting

• 28 replies

Offline Hawk

Re: Lewis Jackson Visiting
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2006, 03:23:56 AM »
i agree with everybody, but you cant make a snap judgment based on his height.? just because he is short doesnt mean he cant get things done.? i dont know either way, but just making a snap judgment based on his height is not right.? if bruce thinks he can fit into the system, i will be happy having him.

Whats next a 5 foot SG, or a 6 foot  power forward???

I have to dissagre with you here 1184, you might have all the heart and will in the world and be a good player and a great person, but if you physicaly do not have the qualifications for the position or the job its not going to work, beside we have D Mac at the point that could very well go 4 years. we dont need another point guard.

you dont see O-linesmen in football that are small or light do you? of course not, because they would not be able to hold for the position

5' 8" is just too small for college B-Ball man! if thats his correct height. hes going to have real trouble finding a major school to offer him IMO
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2006, 03:27:17 AM »
At the college level height is not a big factor if the kid can ball.

True to a certain extent, but at 5' 8" it would be a factor
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2006, 03:29:37 AM »
Besides these seem to be BAM's targets per the News Gazette Article:

Darquavis Tucker
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=37492&Sport=2
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1313138

Nayal Koshwal
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=30997&Sport=2
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1610800

A.J. Stewart
http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=30686&Sport=2
http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=8&c=1&nid=1570317

"Well in advance of the weekend developments, he invited several prospects for unofficial campus visits Saturday, including Darquavis Tucker of Saginaw, Mich....Tucker, 6-5 Floridian A.J. Stewart and 6-9 Chicagoan Mac Koshwal are among the leading candidates for the UI's open scholarship. Weber confirmed Saturday he is recruiting all three, but no decisions will be made until grades are fully analyzed and official visits are conducted. If nothing develops, Weber will carry over the remaining scholarship for next year's class."

« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2006, 01:48:37 AM »
IF he qualifies Darquis Tucker is the guy I would lijke to see.  Athletic, perimiter player to begin their development.

Offline Drama

« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2006, 02:49:37 AM »
I teach in Decatur and in my class is the track coach at jacksons high school.  I waited patiently tonight asked after class if he has watched Lewis play.  He is the track coach and Lewis is apparently a one sport athlete (b-ball) I dont know if the track coach was biased because he has great speed and didnt run track or if he was truthful but...... He said most guys like Lewis end up at your Mid-Major schools.  he said he can jump great and has great speed, but he also said that Lewis plays in a very weak conference for consideration to D1 schools.  He said he is listed taller that he actually is and most kids that live where he does are priviliged compared to Chicago or St. Louis areas. He said most of the guys who are short like Lewis, like Dee brown, Nate robinson were all class athletes in multiple sports and this helped thier strength.  He also said that there are probably 500 Lewis Jackson's in the Chicago area and couldnt beilive that I was asking if he might end up at Illinois.  he said there was a guy that played against frank Williams back when Frank was in high school, that would have ran circles around Jackson.
On paper, I can always convince myself that the talent is there to contend among college basketball's elite, even if it's obviously foolish to expect it.

Offline IllianaOne

• Meet IllianaTwo
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2006, 11:35:14 PM »
I teach in Decatur and in my class is the track coach at jacksons high school.? I waited patiently tonight asked after class if he has watched Lewis play.? He is the track coach and Lewis is apparently a one sport athlete (b-ball) I dont know if the track coach was biased because he has great speed and didnt run track or if he was truthful but...... He said most guys like Lewis end up at your Mid-Major schools.? he said he can jump great and has great speed, but he also said that Lewis plays in a very weak conference for consideration to D1 schools.? He said he is listed taller that he actually is and most kids that live where he does are priviliged compared to Chicago or St. Louis areas. He said most of the guys who are short like Lewis, like Dee brown, Nate robinson were all class athletes in multiple sports and this helped thier strength.? He also said that there are probably 500 Lewis Jackson's in the Chicago area and couldnt beilive that I was asking if he might end up at Illinois.? he said there was a guy that played against frank Williams back when Frank was in high school, that would have ran circles around Jackson.

I say let's get Dar Tucker.

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2006, 02:32:39 AM »
He also said that there are probably 500 Lewis Jackson's in the Chicago area and couldnt beilive that I was asking if he might end up at Illinois

Sounds like the  500 number might be a little bit too much exaggeration.

Online Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2006, 05:07:43 PM »
Not doubting his heart or talent but 5'8" PG vs. 6'4" swingman...........got to go with Dar.
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!

Offline Drama

« Reply #28 on: August 31, 2006, 01:17:42 AM »
Ya I kind of thought 500 was very exaggerated. I think he was trying to point out that Lewis stands out because of where he plays.
On paper, I can always convince myself that the talent is there to contend among college basketball's elite, even if it's obviously foolish to expect it.