? for Hawk

• 5 replies

Offline Drama

? for Hawk
« on: March 11, 2009, 07:24:40 PM »
You can delete this if you want to pm me.  I was curious if you or anyone knows how to get metadata to appear on Google when someone searches keywords.  Our hosting service has a section for metadata, but it does not appear when you search our website.  Others seems to have keywords appear.  I figured you might know since you have set up this site and such.
On paper, I can always convince myself that the talent is there to contend among college basketball's elite, even if it's obviously foolish to expect it.

Re: ? for Hawk
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2009, 10:13:37 PM »
You can delete this if you want to pm me.  I was curious if you or anyone knows how to get metadata to appear on Google when someone searches keywords.  Our hosting service has a section for metadata, but it does not appear when you search our website.  Others seems to have keywords appear.  I figured you might know since you have set up this site and such.

There are so many things that you need to do in order for your web site to be searchable:

1. Add a lot of representative keywords in your metadata (but do not exceed 256 characters).
2. Submit your web site to search engines so they come and index your pages for searching.
3. Wait two or three weeks before you can search for your web site using the keywords you selected.

There are things that increase your search ranking:
1. Having static versus dynamic pages.
2. Having representative keywords in your meta data such as: illini nation, fighting illini, versus having something generic like: university, fan base, basketball.
3. The keywords that you have will rank your web page higher if they also appear in links or image names.
4. The more people click on your pages the higher they rank.
5. The more pages reference your page, the higher it ranks.

I recommend using Google Analytics (free service) to see all kinds of statistics on your web site (hits, visits, where they come from, what they searched for to get to your site, the time of the day, etc.)
If we don't teach our kids ANYTHING about religion, and we let them choose for THEMSELVES when they turn 18. How do you think this will affect the geography of religion?

A dream does not make sense at all, yet while you are living in it you are a believer. Is life a dream?

They say a human brain can handle 7 concurrent tasks at a time. I don't like the limitation.

"Life is too short to be pissed off all the time" - American History X
"If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain" - The Matrix

"The first victim of war is the truth" - A man once said

Offline Hawk

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2009, 12:40:59 AM »
theres your answer  :icon_biggrin:

soccer is the guy to talk to for this.....
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Drama

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2009, 02:29:36 AM »
Thanks, I do check the stats etc... I am wondering where to add the keywords on my site.  I get great numbers from my title but the keywords I have entered in the metadata section on my site do not show up under the title.  The basic stuff like Weddings, Seniors, Children, Family, Central Illinois Photography, Wedding Photographer, Destination Photographer etc...

Your answer was a huge help for other things thanks again!
On paper, I can always convince myself that the talent is there to contend among college basketball's elite, even if it's obviously foolish to expect it.

Offline BYS

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2009, 01:30:55 PM »
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head>
   <meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=UTF-8" />
   <meta name="description" content="? for Hawk" />
   <meta name="robots" content="noindex" />
   <meta name="keywords" content="PHP, MySQL, bulletin, board, free, open, source, smf, simple, machines, forum" />

Your meta data goes here. Usually right at the top of the page. The only thing that will show up on a Google search is what is in the "description" line. Write a description that contains as many of your keywords as possible. Keep it short and precise though. You don't need to worry about robots. There are some free programs that will analyze your sight and recommend keywords. Look up website optimizer or search engin optimizer.

Google search some of your competitions websites. Open the home page and right click to view source. See what keywords they are using. Copy them. Put the most relative ones at the front of the list.

Also, try and use differnet descriptions and keywords for each of the pages in your web and put a text link to each page of your web on the home page. You see this often at the bottom of webpages, in small fonts. You do this so that Google and other search engines can easily find all of the pages in your web.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2009, 09:11:05 PM by BYS »
I ain't askin for nuthin, if I can't get it on my own. If ya don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long haired country boy alone.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.  -Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry

Offline Drama

« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2009, 09:40:10 PM »
Thanks BYS that helps a lot!