"Guest" capabilities

• 7 replies

Offline Spiker

• I put the COOL in the Water Cooler
  • My New Zombie Killer
"Guest" capabilities
« on: January 07, 2009, 03:30:01 PM »
Hawk,
I realize that guests are very limited as to what they can do without having an account or signing in if they do have an account. Is there anyway to set it so guests can vote on poll topics? I know they can't now but is there a way you can change a setting to allow them to do so?

Offline Hawk

Re: "Guest" capabilities
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2009, 03:35:55 PM »
Hawk,
I realize that guests are very limited as to what they can do without having an account or signing in if they do have an account. Is there anyway to set it so guests can vote on poll topics? I know they can't now but is there a way you can change a setting to allow them to do so?

ill look into it
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Spiker

• I put the COOL in the Water Cooler
  • My New Zombie Killer
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2009, 03:40:01 PM »
ill look into it
Cool, I had a light bulb moment that may answer a question we've all wondered at some point.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2009, 03:43:12 PM »
Cool, I had a light bulb moment that may answer a question we've all wondered at some point.

it doesn't appear so, i think the reason is that polls are voted upon by an account basis, if it was so guests could vote a guest could just just keep coming back and voting in the poll numerous times.
i looked on guest rights and voting in polls in not an option, only viewing them.  I think the reason I posted above is probably why.

afterall its not "Vote early vote often" around here, even though I do live in Illinois  :icon_biggrin:  :confuzed:
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2009, 03:18:36 AM »
Hey guys, just signed up.  I couldn't use my e-mail address because GMAIL is used commonly for spam? Curious! I signed up with my yahoo account (my spam mail account).  :chief:

Offline Hawk

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2009, 11:14:10 AM »
Hey guys, just signed up.  I couldn't use my e-mail address because GMAIL is used commonly for spam? Curious! I signed up with my yahoo account (my spam mail account).  :chief:

we have had issues in the past of both Bots, and people using GMail and spamming the site.... I hate haveing that block in there, as I know alot of legitimate people use Gmail, but at one point it was getting out of hand and sopme of the stuff getting posted early in the morning was extremely vulgar in nature

once we create the new site, I might lift it and see how things go.

Offline Crusader

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2009, 01:40:26 PM »
And welcome David!  Really glad to have you here.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2009, 04:09:53 PM »
FYI...I Deleted the GMAIL ban....Ill watch it the next month or so and see what we get...if we get flooded with Spam bots again, ill have to put it back up.

I wish Gmail had better security mesures for signing up with them.