Netflix vs. Hulu vs. Other options

• 9 replies

Offline Illinifan1184

• ILL-INI
Netflix vs. Hulu vs. Other options
« on: March 02, 2017, 01:35:35 AM »
I have had Netflix for a while, but lately have been thinking about checking into other places for my streaming video needs. I was hoping that someone knowledgeable would be able to kind of help me weigh the pros and cons of Netflix vs Hulu and compare especially when it comes to price and content. Any help is appreciated.

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
Re: Netflix vs. Hulu vs. Other options
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 01:40:26 AM »
Kodi is pretty solid, Netflix we use, not used Hulu
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline ctibass

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 09:13:58 AM »
I use Amazon and Netflix.  I've used Hulu in the past as well.  Here's basically what I've found:

Amazon and Netflix: Both pretty good for past seasons of shows and usually has a decent selection of movies, especially after making the deal with Disney, you won't be able to stream any Disney movie (including Marvel) on any platform other than Netflix if the movie was made starting at the end of 2016.  They are usually getting there faster than other movies, about a month or so after they hit DVD release.

Hulu - Is a great resource if you do not have a DVR.  Their movie selection is so-so (maybe 2-3 hits with the rest being lesser-known movies).  But they only keep 5 episodes at a time unless it is the first season of the show, then they have the entire first season.  Once we went back to DirecTV and have a DVR again, it made Hulu useless, especially since it does not have CBS shows (you have to pay for CBS All-Access for their content).

I really only have Amazon because we have Prime for shopping (we do most of our shopping online nowadays and use it like a Sams or Costco membership), but they have a good selection that offsets Netflix and they are getting close to Netflix in terms of quality of created content (Man in the High Castle and Sneaky Pete are both really good in my opinion)

Well, there's my 2 cents on it (more like a dime or so lol)

Offline Illinifan1184

• ILL-INI
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 11:04:18 AM »
I use Amazon and Netflix.  I've used Hulu in the past as well.  Here's basically what I've found:

Amazon and Netflix: Both pretty good for past seasons of shows and usually has a decent selection of movies, especially after making the deal with Disney, you won't be able to stream any Disney movie (including Marvel) on any platform other than Netflix if the movie was made starting at the end of 2016.  They are usually getting there faster than other movies, about a month or so after they hit DVD release.

Hulu - Is a great resource if you do not have a DVR.  Their movie selection is so-so (maybe 2-3 hits with the rest being lesser-known movies).  But they only keep 5 episodes at a time unless it is the first season of the show, then they have the entire first season.  Once we went back to DirecTV and have a DVR again, it made Hulu useless, especially since it does not have CBS shows (you have to pay for CBS All-Access for their content).

I really only have Amazon because we have Prime for shopping (we do most of our shopping online nowadays and use it like a Sams or Costco membership), but they have a good selection that offsets Netflix and they are getting close to Netflix in terms of quality of created content (Man in the High Castle and Sneaky Pete are both really good in my opinion)

Well, there's my 2 cents on it (more like a dime or so lol)
I appreciate the input.

Offline Illinifan1184

• ILL-INI
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2017, 11:05:25 AM »
I have heard of Kodi, but don't know much about it. Anyone have any links or time to explain how that works? I tried once, but it wasn't making much sense to me.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2017, 11:24:59 AM »
I only use Netflix....guy I work with has Netflix, Hulu and Amazon, he says Netflix and Amazon have the most content
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2017, 07:35:27 PM »
I have heard of Kodi, but don't know much about it. Anyone have any links or time to explain how that works? I tried once, but it wasn't making much sense to me.

sorry man just saw this. Its pretty easy, there are a bunch of you tube vids on it, depending on which system you use. Thats how I did it. Pretty easy to do really, but more involved than other two for sure.

Offline Big Phil

• The Doctor is IN

Offline Illinifan1184

• ILL-INI
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2017, 08:07:32 PM »
You are the man, Phil

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2017, 11:30:29 PM »
Amazon is the only one I have watched because it is "free" with my Prime membership.  They have some really good shows they produce.  The Man In the High Castle is awesome, IMO.  I binge watched the first two season in about 3 days.   

I haven't really tried any other services. I do let youtube red roll if we are having dinner or people are over, for background music.    Then again I am not really much of a TV watcher anymore.   Sports, some HGTV and food shows on occasion and that is about it for me.