Best food places in C-U (past or present)

• 29 replies

Offline Hawk

Re: Best food places in C-U (past or present)
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2017, 11:27:50 AM »
If you ever need tips on food in any other cities especially in the south Ive probably eaten there :p

I can vouch for that, Phils probably had every taco, burrito, fajita, and enchilada in Texas if you saw his social media page  :icon_biggrin:
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2017, 11:53:54 PM »
If you ever need tips on food in any other cities especially in the south Ive probably eaten there :p

I can vouch for that, Phils probably had every taco, burrito, fajita, and enchilada in Texas if you saw his social media page  :icon_biggrin:
You are forgetting BBQ too.

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2017, 04:05:53 PM »
Okay so what is a good adult bar (non college bar) to go have a drink tonight? The wife and I are heading down to get some Giordano's, then later tonight and tomorrow maybe Bamba, maybe black dog, maybe portillo's. The champaign food tour! 😁😂😁😀😀😁😂

« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2017, 04:20:55 PM »
Lots of places in downtown champaign. Blind Pig, Barrelhouse 34, esquire, jupiters

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2017, 04:21:50 PM »
Bamba not nearly as good as it was back in the day after the bars -- used to be the best.

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2017, 04:32:06 PM »
Thanks for the places bro.  Yeah we had a Bamba in campus town by Bradley in P Town and it was good, but they closed a year or two ago.  Love me a pork and steak combo.  Their salsa/tomatillo sauce is awesome.  After a game once in a while we stop at the one off of University I think​, and it wasn't as good as the campus one used to be when smashed at 2am but was still damn good.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2017, 04:57:53 PM »
http://www.foodandwine.com/syndication/best-barbecue-restaurants-every-state#indiana-north-end-bbq-moonshine

Illinois: Black Dog Smoke & Ale House

Slow-cooked meat with brilliant sweet and spicy sauces? Yes, please. Go early if you want Black Dog?s beloved Burnt Ends, which sell out quickly. Aim for a Wednesday visit if you want to sop up the flavors of their superb Cuban sandwich. They have locations in Urbana and Champaign. blackdogsmoke.com
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline QCPost33

• Old UI Hippie Engineer
  • Baseball Sucks
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2017, 11:26:21 PM »
Looks like I will have to check out Black dog this year when i go to the games. I kept my basketball season tickets for another year.
Still crazy

Offline NTACF

« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 11:55:26 AM »
 Black Dog is tough to beat, as mentioned before. I did have one bad experience at the Champaign location right after it opened, as did a friend of mine on a separate occasion. Have been back twice though and it was great. Never had a bad experience at the Urbana location.

Some others I haven?t seen mentioned:

Silver Creek?s brunch buffet is a wonder to behold.

Had a great lunch at Scotty?s brewhouse while we watched the Illini game Saturday. Great selection of local beers.

Watson?s Shack and Rail is good, kind of a hipster southern style chicken and bourbon joint.

Farren?s Pub is a great place to grab lunch.

I still like some Lil Porgy?s BBQ every once in a while

Dos Reales has been around forever but never disappoints. Always packed but the food and service is outstanding, and their lunch specials are inexpensive and big enough for me to have leftovers.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 03:30:21 PM by NTACF »

Offline LAlady81

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 03:44:37 PM »
Anywhere that doesn't serve deep dish pizza...
"Religion is for those afraid of hell; spirituality is for those who have already been there"

No matter how dark the moment, love and peace are always near.

Daddy cried when he saw my tattoo, said he loved me anyway.