John Groce future

• 453 replies

Offline Hawk

John Groce future
« on: January 18, 2016, 01:14:05 PM »
ok guys, please stop posting about Groce in other threads, if you wanna discuss the guy do it here please

To start this off ill just say this, he has a contract through 2019; we just let a guy go 4 years ago and had to pay him for about 3 years after. so now ill copy and paste what I said in another thread yesterday>>>

"I don't care what's done, keep him, fire him...I will say this though,if we fire him somebody better damn well have a better plan for pushing the reset button again after just 4 years once this season is finished. It better work out too, because the problems here right now do go past just getting talent here and coaching, there are a wide range of issues and factors at this school right now that some people don't want to admit, some of them internal like the factors Musson has brought up here many times with enrollment. Some of them are also PR wise and how the U is viewed right now, some of that is of no thanks to some of our own alumni for tweeting and ranting on radio shows about nonsense they cant back up. However none of which can be ignored when talking about this subject"

So for those that are 100% sure they want him gone, i'm ok with that, as I said I could go either way on this, but who of those thinks we are landing a stud coach with no AD (or brand new one), no president, and a contract to pay on for another 4 years? I have serious doubts about that, and you don't just make a change to make a change that solves nothing and could make things worse
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline illiniman94

Re: John Groce future
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2016, 02:52:35 PM »
Thanks

Regarding buy outs, we have alum who will pay for it so to me that is a non issue.

As far as the AD and new Chancellor goes, I am told that the announcement on an AD is coming as early as this week if not next.

I agree that you don't make a move just to make a move, but I am confident they will give the new AD the ability and the budget to go after a good coach.  You can't suspend operations while that search goes on so the interim can sign off and ultimately it is up to board to approve these hires anyway.  Those of us who want Groce gone (can't speak for all so this is my position) don't want to do just make a move to make a move.  I want somebody who can actually make in game adjustments, teaches defense, runs a freaking offense that isn't dribble and chuck from 23 and finally, to develop players.   There are lots of coaches out there who have that capability and IF THE ADMINISTRATION/BOARD  is committed to returning the program to national prominence, they will provide the means to get said coach.

« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:02:16 PM by illiniman94 »

Offline Musson

• Me and "The Girls Next Door" Sorry boys!
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2016, 03:03:32 PM »
I've gotten to the point where I just don't even really care. 

Football.  Ehhh.  Who cares?

Basketball. Ehh. Who cares?

It's sad.  I still DVR every game for both sports, but long gone are the days of making time to watch games live.  It's just not worth the frustration. 

I've adopted this DVR it, check on the score; and if it's just another crap game....just press delete and not suffer through it. 

Watched the Purdue game after suffering through the Michigan game.  Went from we suck to, to that was a good game, to watching the Nebraska game, and just walking away from the TV and finding something else to do, but not before I pressed stop recording on that game. 

I'm just tired of playing shit basketball at a level that doesn't qualify for the NCAAs. 

I'm tired of watching shit football that doesn't qualify for a bowl game. 

Damn, I hope the baseball team comes out on fire again this season. 

Centennial Chargers Class of 1992, we sucked, but still proud!!!? Lifetime member and founder of CTOWN POSSE!

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2016, 03:22:27 PM »

It's sad.  I still DVR every game for both sports, but long gone are the days of making time to watch games live.  It's just not worth the frustration. 

I've adopted this DVR it, check on the score; and if it's just another crap game....just press delete and not suffer through it. 

Watched the Purdue game after suffering through the Michigan game.  Went from we suck to, to that was a good game, to watching the Nebraska game, and just walking away from the TV and finding something else to do, but not before I pressed stop recording on that game. 

I'm just tired of playing shit basketball at a level that doesn't qualify for the NCAAs. 

Good summation. I used to to get giddy waiting for games and now if I catch the game I do....and yes the disgust/frustration is a terrible feeling.   I am almost numb to our Illini now....still love them but it is just like we are in a bad dream.

Offline Hawk

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2016, 03:43:38 PM »
Regarding buy outs, we have alum who will pay for it so to me that is a non issue.

yah, you sure bout that? ......you writing a check?  ;)

if so and you are right for the sake of argument, then its funny to me that we would have alum that will pay the massive salaries for all the coaches we fire early, yet where are they when we need facility upgrades and other amenities that other big time programs have?

ill say this, some of them are real good at calling us a racist institution on twitter and radio shows though and chasing recruits away...

yeah so, forgive me if I don't quite buy the "the alum will fix it all" scenario there...
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline Hawk

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2016, 03:46:12 PM »

Good summation. I used to to get giddy waiting for games and now if I catch the game I do....and yes the disgust/frustration is a terrible feeling.   I am almost numb to our Illini now....still love them but it is just like we are in a bad dream.

FYI - for some perspective, a lot of people were at that point by 2008-2009.... just sayin
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 03:48:36 PM by Hawk »

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2016, 04:16:49 PM »
I still watch I just expect mediocre at this point

Groce will be back next year, lets hope he lands a huge class, which is extremely possible. I think we are due for another run in 3-4 years at a FF before 10 years of mediocre again...its like clockwork...89, 2005, maybe 2019?
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2016, 04:18:09 PM »

yah, you sure bout that? ......you writing a check?  ;)  Yes for my total net worth......so  $6.  :icon_biggrin:

if so and you are right for the sake of argument, then its funny to me that we would have alum that will pay the massive salaries for all the coaches we fire early, yet where are they when we need facility upgrades and other amenities that other big time programs have? Our donors did pony up big time for the new paint of coat for the Hall...I refuse to say the other name

ill say this, some of them are real good at calling us a racist institution on twitter and radio shows though and chasing recruits away...

yeah so, forgive me if I don't quite buy the "the alum will fix it all" scenario there...
I understand where you are coming from but Kenny Battle and Stephen Bardo aren't the donors I am talking about....it is the big time business guys who have made hundreds of millions from their businesses.   

Offline illiniman94

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2016, 04:19:56 PM »
I still watch I just expect mediocre at this point

Groce will be back next year, lets hope he lands a huge class, which is extremely possible. I think we are due for another run in 3-4 years at a FF before 10 years of mediocre again...its like clockwork...89, 2005, maybe 2019?
No way in hell Groce will ever get any team to any final four unless he recruits LeBron, DWILL & Carmello and then I still think he finds a way to eff that up.     You have to have basic coaching skills to win unless you get Bill Self talent every year.....and we weren't mediocre in between those final fours for 10 years...we had a few years of mediocrity in the past but by and large we made the tourney every year and were competitive, unlike now.  This is a new low.

and yes, I still watch too.  Hell I even went to two football games and a basketball game  this year.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 04:31:30 PM by illiniman94 »

Offline Hawk

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2016, 05:10:29 PM »

yah, you sure bout that? ......you writing a check?  ;)  Yes for my total net worth......so  $6.  :icon_biggrin:

if so and you are right for the sake of argument, then its funny to me that we would have alum that will pay the massive salaries for all the coaches we fire early, yet where are they when we need facility upgrades and other amenities that other big time programs have? Our donors did pony up big time for the new paint of coat for the Hall...I refuse to say the other name

I understand where you are coming from but Kenny Battle and Stephen Bardo aren't the donors I am talking about....it is the big time business guys who have made hundreds of millions from their businesses.

I know, I was just speaking overall alumni