December 11, 2017 01:02 PM

Author Topic: Steve Weatherford...the guy's a Saint!!!  (Read 897 times)

Offline kayjay7

• Entry Member
    • Awards
Steve Weatherford...the guy's a Saint!!!
« on: September 06, 2006, 04:29:26 AM »
-Although I feel bad for Mitch Berger, our Mr. Weatherford has made the Saints roster.
 Berger is out for the season...groin injury.
 I would bet that he will end up as the holder for John Carney also.

Offline Luke E

• Reppin' the Illini in the Big House!
  • My Badges Awarded to the 2010 I-N Fantasy Football League Runner-Up Awarded to the 2010 I-N Fantasy Baseball League 3rd Place Finisher Awarded to I-N Charter Members Awarded to the 2008 I-N Fantasy Baseball League 3rd Place Finisher Awarded to the 2009 I-N Fantasy Basketball League 3rd Place Finisher Awarded to the 2009 I-N Fantasy Football League Runner-Up
    • Awards
Re: Steve Weatherford...the guy's a Saint!!!
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2006, 11:12:35 AM »
-Although I feel bad for Mitch Berger, our Mr. Weatherford has made the Saints roster.
 Berger is out for the season...groin injury.
 I would bet that he will end up as the holder for John Carney also.
HEY!  Let's here it for the 2005 Illini MVP!!!

Offline Musson

• Me and "The Girls Next Door" Sorry boys!
  • My Badges Awarded to I-N Charter Members
    • Awards
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2006, 09:39:28 PM »
the state of the professional punter in the NFL is an absolute joke.  I dont know how many punts of 40 yards or less Ive seen through the years.  This is their only job.  Catch the ball(snap), swiftly get the ball into possition to kick, get maximum height and length out of the ball.  What is so hard about it?  I mean, maybe 7-8 times a game you have to trot out there and kick.  It is a sad state when the announcers rant and rave before the commercial break about a 52 yard punt.  Or when a punter is able to kick it 60 plus pretty consistantly, and is told to angle kicks, or get way more height, just to stop the return.
Centennial Chargers Class of 1992, we sucked, but still proud!!!? Lifetime member and founder of CTOWN POSSE!

Offline kayjay7

• Entry Member
    • Awards
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2006, 06:24:43 AM »
-Yeah...Steve "Polychronopolous!" :lol:

Offline Musson

• Awards
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2006, 02:31:31 PM »
How do you coach at a big time program like Illinois, and not have a descent punter?  Did they not realize that Weatherford was leaving?  How is that possible?  Field goal kicker has to be able to fill in before a wide receiver does.  I mean, a place kicker spends all day kicking a ball, why in hte hell cant he punt?  This typifies why it is going to take 2-3 more years for the Illini to be competitive, they dont even have a punter!  Wathching this team play is like picking a scab.  You know you shouldnt do it, it will bleed, but you cant not pick it for some reason.
Centennial Chargers Class of 1992, we sucked, but still proud!!!? Lifetime member and founder of CTOWN POSSE!

Offline Luke E

• Reppin' the Illini in the Big House!
  • My Badges Awarded to the 2010 I-N Fantasy Football League Runner-Up Awarded to the 2010 I-N Fantasy Baseball League 3rd Place Finisher Awarded to I-N Charter Members Awarded to the 2008 I-N Fantasy Baseball League 3rd Place Finisher Awarded to the 2009 I-N Fantasy Basketball League 3rd Place Finisher Awarded to the 2009 I-N Fantasy Football League Runner-Up
    • Awards
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2006, 03:18:23 AM »
How do you coach at a big time program like Illinois, and not have a descent punter?? Did they not realize that Weatherford was leaving?? How is that possible?? Field goal kicker has to be able to fill in before a wide receiver does.? I mean, a place kicker spends all day kicking a ball, why in hte hell cant he punt?? This typifies why it is going to take 2-3 more years for the Illini to be competitive, they dont even have a punter!? Wathching this team play is like picking a scab.? You know you shouldnt do it, it will bleed, but you cant not pick it for some reason.
Great analogy.  Punting isn't as simple as you make it out to be, but I agree that we should have a better situation.  I love Illini football but it's almost embarassing to be a fan right now, especially in the midst of a bunch of Notre Dame and Ohio St. fans.  Oh well, basketball is coming soon!

Offline Musson

• Awards
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2006, 08:05:25 PM »
NO-----PUNTING IS EXTREMELY EASY!!!!!  Especially when you are a scholarship player and that is your only job!  Catch the snap, kick it, fast, high, and long!  You do not concern yourself with the rushing defense, you dont concern yourself with the down and distance, you freaking catch the ball, and kick the ball.  I punted, and did all the place kicking throughout high school.  I know how to kick, and I know if I was a scholarship player, I would have enough pride in myself to kick the freaking ball FAST.....HIGH.....AND LONG!

Offline kayjay7

• Entry Member
    • Awards
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2006, 11:10:21 PM »
-Hey Musson, so would you agree then that punting the ball into a defender's backside isn't a great strategic football move? :cheese1: O0 :lol: :lol: :lol:
 Sorry, I just couldn't resist.
 I'm underwhelmed by the Illini's showing last weekend.
 So much so that this is the first thing I could post about it.

I'll try to explain my feelings in a bit on the Illini football thread. Still have to settle down first.