Blackhawks
Fire

Chicago is a _______________ town

• 7 replies

Offline Luke E

• Reppin' the Illini in the Big House!
Chicago is a _______________ town
« on: October 31, 2007, 06:58:36 PM »
What's your opinion and why?  This question was brought on by a poll that I saw on the SCORE website that asked which team's season tickets would you want the most?  The Cubs were @ 31%, the Bears @ 30%, Bulls @ 19%, and the Sox @ 13%...

Offline BYS

Re: Chicago is a _______________ town
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2007, 07:00:31 PM »
It's still a Bear's town, through and through, but if the Cubs ever win, I don't think the city will survive.
I ain't askin for nuthin, if I can't get it on my own. If ya don't like the way I'm livin', ya just leave this long haired country boy alone.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.  -Thomas Jefferson

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government -- lest it come to dominate our lives and interests." Patrick Henry

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2007, 07:15:36 PM »
It's a Bears town. History, cold weather, football, how many reasons do you need? Can't be a Sox or Cubs town because they split the fandom. (And in the Chicago area it's split, although the Cubs have alot more fans nationwide, particularly in Iowa). The Blackhawks blew it, although I've been to two games in the last two weeks, and just bought two season tickets in Sec. 234 with one of my Sox guys. The Bulls are great, but the NBA isn't, and that stops that. The Fire?

Offline Big Phil

• The Illini Doctor of Love
  • The Doctor is IN
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2007, 07:16:41 PM »
Slam dunk Bears, lived here 39 years.
Bite it Big Ten, here come the MIGHTY ILLINI

Offline Hawk

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 08:12:46 PM »
Ultimatley this is a Cubs town, theres nothing that can change that.

But For season tickets, right now...... hands down for me it would be the Bulls

Reason: the teams good right now, they play 42 home games, so you getting good value for your dollar, plus its not like baseball where there could be 6 home games in one week..... Second would be Cubs, although like i just said, I probably would end up selling alot of them because I could not make it to every Cubs home game.  Bears would be 3rd, although your not getting very many games, I guess I'm looking at it as far as value for the dollar and product on the court or field.
If you don't read the papers you're uninformed. If you do read them, you're misinformed - Mark Twain

Offline tbcamp

• Keep your eye on the prize
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:34:34 PM »
I'm looking at it in terms of fans. Hands down a Bears town, not even close. When the Bears won in '85 the town lost it's mind. Last year when they went to the SuperBowl, same thing. Ex-Bears are all over town making money being ex-Bears, what other team can say that? For the Cubs, Santo does radio. For the Sox, Farmer, Singleton and D.J. are ex-Sox among other teams. Kerr is an ex-Bull coach, and Gill played briefly for the Bulls at the end of his career. Buffone, O'Bradovich, Thayer, Hampton, Jiggetts, Dent, Azumah, Miller, Payton (through his widow), Ditka, McMahon, Kozlowski, Wilson, McMichael, Butkus, Sayers, Douglass, Butler, Bob Thomas, Fencik, Duerson, and a ton of other guys continued to make a living or enhance their living in and around Chicago, and in some cases nationally by being ex-Bears.  Scottie Pippen won 6 titles with the Bulls, and is one of the NBA's all-time top 50 players. He is a true superstar of sport. If he was an ex-Bear he'd be the mayor of Chicago or CEO of one of our biggest corporations. As a Bull, he's okay, and that's all. I realize MJ has all the spotlight, but he has really gotten bigger than sport, the Bulls, or the NBA generally. He's there with Babe Ruth and Muhammed Ali, a rare icon.

Offline QCPost33

• Old UI Hippie Engineer
  • Baseball Sucks
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:28:32 PM »
I think its still a Bears town with the Cubs a close second.  Sox and Bulls a long way back at the moment.
Still crazy

Online Reaper

• Woodchipper expert
  • Fear The Reaper!!!
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 09:07:52 AM »
The Bears rule the city and it's not even close. The NFL is king we love our Bears. Hell, people still talk about 1985 like it was just last year. The Bulls come in second because the city cheers for them as a whole. Contrary to popular belief this is not a Cubs or Sox town. The allegiance is splitwhich prevents one team from dominating the city. Like TB said the Cubs have more fans nationally because of WGN broadcasting all of their games over the years but there are just as many Sox  fans in Chicago as Cubs fans. The fire shouldn't be on this list and the NHL is dead.
My name is Grimm Reaper. Commander of the Death Stalkers FBB team, General of the Rude Dawgs FFB team and loyal poster on the "True" message board "The Illini Nation". Member of a pissed off fan base, supporter of a betrayed program, and I shall have my revenge in this season or the next!